Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Prickly Perch

Prickly Perch

This is a cactus wren sitting on a large barrel cactus, shot on a recent trip to Phoenix. It was taken on South Mountain in the late afternoon.

Canon 20d
    Canon 100-400mm L, IS
    1/50 sec., f/6.3, ISO 100
    On a tripod

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prickly Perch-cactus-wren_640.jpg  

Re: Prickly Perch

Wow, another beautiful shot of a very interesting subject. I love the color.

Greg

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wolf
    This is a cactus wren sitting on a large barrel cactus, shot on a recent trip to Phoenix. It was taken on South Mountain in the late afternoon.

Canon 20d
    Canon 100-400mm L, IS
    1/50 sec., f/6.3, ISO 100
    On a tripod

Paul
    Hello Paul,

i like the level of details (fine lense!) and the bluried background looks superb. However, I am not sure that I like to have both the cactus and the bird in focus as they seem to compete for my attention. On the other hand, I am not sure that you could afford to have the cactus out of focus as it takes a lot of space in the foreground and as the bird is partly hidden by the cactus (though one). I like your composition and how it is framed but I am concerned by the dof...

Perhaps someone else could come with a suggestion....

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello Paul,

i like the level of details (fine lense!) and the bluried background looks superb. However, I am not sure that I like to have both the cactus and the bird in focus as they seem to compete for my attention. On the other hand, I am not sure that you could afford to have the cactus out of focus as it takes a lot of space in the foreground and as the bird is partly hidden by the cactus (though one). I like your composition and how it is framed but I am concerned by the dof...

Perhaps someone else could come with a suggestion....

Seb
    I agree fully. My eye moves towards the centre of the picture, where the darker needles are. Though, as Seb pointed out, a loss of focus in the cactus would throw this picture for a loop. I love the colors in here, and the composition is great, maybe a tighter crop on the bird?!

I'm stumped.

Jared

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I love the framing here!

next time you are in pheonix.... go to the botanical gardens! AVAIN species galore and at very close distances! I was there last july and wanted to never leave
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information