Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayer

Prayer

Sunday morning service.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Re: Prayer

Technically I cannot find a fault with this. But the prayer/sunday morning service does not get to me.
    A few more out of focus "prayers" in the background perhaps would have nailed this.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

The lighting and the black and white textures are well caught here but I agree with Tom that a more open title could leave the viewer to draw their own conclusions. I thought he might be crying.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Sebastian, I absolutely LOVE certain aspects of this...his hands are fantastic, specifically. I also really like the pattern of his shirt against the blurry background.
    What doesn't work as well for me is partly what others have said...the title is hard to connect to the picture, mainly because there's nothing else to suggest that he's praying. If this is in a Sunday service, like someone else said, maybe other praying people in the background, or instead of what look like shields behind him, something more stereotypically religious as a symbol...know what I mean? Of course, I don't know how you set the shot up, if this was a quick shot...obviously during a prayer it could be hard to set things up just so.

As IS, like I said, I love the shot...the other things I said are just things that could enhance it to work better with your title.

Emily

I love it too. The composition is pefect, as is the clarity. And the dof is fantastic. It's awesome in B&W.

I'm going to echo everyone's echos here and say that this is a remarkable capture and I can find no technical shortcomings. However, I too am a little thrown off by the title. If this thread and image were simply labelled "Untitled", I'd have no criticisms at all!

This is a fantastic print, and the tones are wonderful. Film or digital? This LOOKS like film to me, so if this is a digital B&W, I'm going to congratulate you on getting a shot that looks better than 99% of the others out there.
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

It has been a while since I posted a critique but felt compelled to reply on this image. I can understand the disconnection between the title and what is happening. It does not represent a traditional style of prayer but maybe that is point. Prayer can be very reverent but it can also be full of emotion. This is what I truly like about the image. It is a different perspective on prayer. I can see emotion and, the positioning of his hands communicate a sense of urgency in this prayer. I think this is powerful.
    I will say that without the title I would have arrived at a different conclusion but, we do have a title and it serves the image well.
    Sebastian, I’m not sure if that is what you were attempting to capture but it is what I see and why I commented. I really like this image.

Regards,

Phil

Remarkable capture! The anguish the man is feeling comes through the image! Bravo!!!! Technically and artistically excellent!
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Not a pose I'd associate with prayer, but a very well done, powerful image.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

OUTSTANDING!

I love this one. There is so much mystery here. What is the man thinking? Is he mourning? Laughing? Crying? I gaze at his face and hands, searning for a hint, a clue as to what this guy is feeling. I find none. I then gaze around his environment, looking for clues. What are those things on the wall? Are they clues?

I think this is an outstanding shot! Way to draw in and capture the viewer!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks everyone. Your criticisms echo mine, but it's a matter of the message of the shot being different than what the photo actually recorded. It doesn't communicate what it really is happening. I'm undecided on wether I like that or not.

For those that are wondering, this is digital. I haven't touched film in what feels like decades. Long, happy, stress-free decades.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Really nice, rich tones in this. Your conversion was done expertly and I won't hold it against you or the image that it is digital - I have found that the digital process lends itself nicely to a character filled B&W, as here.

There are many photographers in the past who have used the powerful imagery of hands in their photos - Dorothea Lange comes to mind - and I believe that is where the strength of this image lies. Here, hiding the emotions (or truth), they have been beautifully captured.

Tuna

Beautiful image! You have a great ability for shooting people, I am always wowed by your works. The books and sheilds lead me to think this is more of a library or lodge though. Regardless of the location, it's still wonderful.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Another powerful photograph Seb!
    It kind of shows how prayer can be powerful and personal.
    Very dramatic.
    Thanks for posting it here!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks guys!

The background needs some explanation. This is an Episcopal church that has roots in Wales. The "shields" are some sort of crests, and the "books" are actually just patterns cut into the wood walls. I never even realized how much they looked like books.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian

Sunday morning service.
    You are becoming one of the site's "artists in residence," I think. I like this and I'm curious if there are ramifications to shooting people praying in church. One would think you might go to hell for that. [[Just kiddding. ;) Please don't take me seriously here. ]] or at the least you might get thrown out.

Part of the reason I say that is that my first instinct was that you needed to be closer on this shot. I want to see the detail in his hands anf ring and face and hair better. But I would imagine you can't really be taking pictures in church two feet from the man's nose.

...then again if it was staged.

Seb,

I keep coming back to this and I sort of like it, but something doesn't sit right and I think LL nailed it in that I'm also looking for more detail in the hands, hair, ring... Perhaps its the way my monitor is set up.

Other than that the composition and tones are excellent - still a good photo though.

Roger

PS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    This is an Episcopal church that has roots in Wales.
    - one small correction it Scottish not Welsh.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I LOVE all the different ideas this is generating. This is the sort of discussion I want to foster.

LL,

I was at the service for a story a local paper is doing. That makes it easy enough, but this was the church's 50th anniversary and the Bishop was giving the service. This, of course, meant that his personal photographer was there taking pics along with the dude in the back with the DVCam. So no, not staged, but I was also not standing out in any way.

Roger,

The detail is definitely there, it might have something to do with your monitor. If your screen is not calibrated, you really have no idea what you're seeing, another one of those fun technology selling points.

This one is for you and LL:

-Seb

My website

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

I think this crop conveys the image suggested by the title much more succinctly than with the rest of the background included. I was having trouble resolving the details I could make out with the man. Now that it is just him I have no doubt he is concentrated on his prayer. Beautiful image Sebastian.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

I love the cropped version.

Emily

Thanks guys. For the sake of disclosure, this is a second, uncropped shot.

Thank you everyone for your input. This thread has helped me realize that the hands were the thing that drew me to this man to begin with. I posted a crop of the second photo in Viewfinder. That will be hanging on my wall.
    -Seb

My website

Glad to see you are still around and submitting such wonderful work. I saw the "hands" post in Viewfinder. I'd say you can't get any better detail! All crops aside (or not) I think this is a very emotive portrait.

The contrast with patterns as well as tones...just stunning.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
    Ruh roh...Where am I?

Thanks BF.

Those that wondered about my B&W conversion, I outlined the method in Viewfinder:

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...139#post117139
    -Seb

My website

[QUOTE=Sebastian]. If your screen is not calibrated, you really have no idea what you're seeing, another one of those fun technology selling points.

This one is for you and LL:

[QUOTE]

I just can't believe the difference between using the Adobe Gamma and doing it properly.

Your right the detail is in there I can see that now, but I still prefer the latest cropped version, its excellent.

Now all I need is a better printer with icc's for the paper and ink LOL

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

There is simply nothing left to say about this wonderful and amazing capture. So well done!! Congrats! I hope you get a sticky for it!!!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information