Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: PP Help for my Front Porch

Paula,

Sorry to hear your in a tight spot. I really like the look of the furniture. That is really nice work.

Gary has some good points and one thing I carry around in my ruck sack is cooking foil which works as a great reflector, either shiny if you want a lot of light or dull side if you want less and its a lot cheaper.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

As usual, great advice here. I've tried a few "product" photos this week, but I wasn't happy with the results -- I don't think our overcast days helped any. I will post some next week.

Question: Is Elements like a Photoshop "lite?" Should one be able to transition with reasonable ease from Elements to PS? What's the price tag on Elements - and is Elements Elements or are there versions to decide on?

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Paula, I know I am overly enthusiastic about post processing, but I do believe overcast can be overcome with multiple exposures and layer painting in photoshop. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, and maybe I am just wrong.

The current Elements is version 8 which has some demanding PC requirements (You're using Windows, right?). With your camera (still the 40D?), you can run v6 or 7 with no problems. I have a copy of v6 I'll send you for shipping if you want it. I have upgraded it so you won't be able to register it or upgrade it (probably???), but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Yes, Elements is in a way, kind of like PS Lite... and by the time you need to transition from Elements to PS, you will be advanced enough for the it to be smooth.
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Quote Originally Posted by Shebang
    As usual, great advice here. I've tried a few "product" photos this week, but I wasn't happy with the results -- I don't think our overcast days helped any. I will post some next week.

Question: Is Elements like a Photoshop "lite?" Should one be able to transition with reasonable ease from Elements to PS? What's the price tag on Elements - and is Elements Elements or are there versions to decide on?
    Overcast is usually a good time for shooting. Elements is typically about 100.00 , I think, but Terry's generous offer can't be beat!
    Keep shooting and experimenting.
    IMHO, you need not know a whole lot about editing photos to get some very good product shots. Shoot with available light and a reflector and make sure you have no distracting elements in the photo. Are these shots going to be of a piece by piece basis, inside?
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Just Lurking

I haven't posted in ages, but I wanted to add a couple thoughts here. First, you can always use the open source application GIMP, which is completely free. It's different from PS & Elements and can be confusing at first, but you can't beat the price.

Second, as you look for different light modifiers, you don't even have to buy reflectors and such. Try things like a white sheet or some foam board. You probably have the former and the latter is pretty cheap. And lest you worry that this is somehow unprofessional or something, there are a lot of creative folks out there making great photos with less sophisticated stuff. Check out diyphotography.net also.

PC

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    The current Elements is version 8 which has some demanding PC requirements (You're using Windows, right?). With your camera (still the 40D?), you can run v6 or 7 with no problems. I have a copy of v6 I'll send you for shipping if you want it. I have upgraded it so you won't be able to register it or upgrade it (probably???), but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. - TF
    Wow - I missed a lot while I was gone!

OLDCLICKER: Thanks so much for your very generous offer. I will take you up on it if my computer/camera is adequate. This is all greek to me but best I can tell we have MS Window XP Pro 5.1 build 2006; Processor is Intel (R) Core 7 M 2 Due CPU; T7300@2.00GHz (2CPUs); Mem 2006 MB Ram. And, yes, my camera is the Canon 40D.

We have started our Elements/PS savings plan, so we will return your v6 is about six months -- sooner if I can get Quickbooks figured out -- April 15 is around the corner and we had to let the CPA go. We want to as honest as we know how and not risk any copyright violations -- and then you have it back so you can help some other desperate newbie!

It is so refreshing to know that there are still such gracious and kind people in this world such as yourself - and so many others here at PR. If you will send me a PM with your address and an amount plenty sufficient to cover shipping and any other expenses incurred, I will mail you a check or whatever you may need to accomplish shipping. Thanks, and Blessings upon you!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusK
    Yes, Elements is in a way, kind of like PS Lite... and by the time you need to transition from Elements to PS, you will be advanced enough for the it to be smooth.

Well, Marc, it looks like I will be learning Elements way sooner than I expected! Is the generous offer of your written lessons still good? My head is reeling.

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Overcast is usually a good time for shooting. Elements is typically about 100.00 , I think, but Terry's generous offer can't be beat!
    Keep shooting and experimenting.
    IMHO, you need not know a whole lot about editing photos to get some very good product shots. Shoot with available light and a reflector and make sure you have no distracting elements in the photo. Are these shots going to be of a piece by piece basis, inside?
    These shots will be piece by piece, and it will be both indoors and outdoors as some products are meant for the interior and many are made for the outdoors. We have one of our ritzy customer's whose neighbor friend has a series of waterfalls in her backyard. Our customer already offered to ask if we could shoot there, which I would love to do, but I don't want to do until I know I can get the quality of shot I'm after. I'm not there yet, but I'm a whole lot closer than I was a year ago when I tried something similar.

I know there are many successful product shooters here, but Jet's photo is the one that comes to mind because of his new toy - the product table. I don't have all that, but I do have an umbrella and a $50 "daylight" bulb on a stand and a "daylight" artist floorlamp. I also have a small bedroom with two S-SW facing windows that I could somewhat convert. The walls are not white - more a mintgreen white. What do you do? Throw a white sheet over a table, set up your tripod and start shooting?? Color accuracy is going to be an issue so customers (with calibrated monitors) know pretty much what they are getting.

Also I have the 50 mm 1.8, the 17-40mm 1:4 L, the 180mm macro 1:3.5 L, and the 70-200mm 1:4 L IS. I'm guessing the 17-40 should be my weapon of choice?

Thank you, as well, for your generous time and help.

Quote Originally Posted by PrevailingConditions
    I haven't posted in ages, but I wanted to add a couple thoughts here. First, you can always use the open source application GIMP, which is completely free. It's different from PS & Elements and can be confusing at first, but you can't beat the price.

Second, as you look for different light modifiers, you don't even have to buy reflectors and such. Try things like a white sheet or some foam board. You probably have the former and the latter is pretty cheap. And lest you worry that this is somehow unprofessional or something, there are a lot of creative folks out there making great photos with less sophisticated stuff. Check out diyphotography.net also.

PC

Thank you, PC! I very honored that you would drop in on my thread. You are certainly right about some creative and talented shots with next to nothing - Holga comes to mind for one thing! And aluminum foil! And I remember a photo from someone about their light set up that they built. That's my kind of equipment - I would way rather make do with something I can do myself and then go spend my light money on more and better glass - something whicih I can't build myself! I will go check out the the diy site you mentioned. Thanks for your generous offer of help

It would be nice if any help you receive would be here on the forums so all can benefit. There are many here that could learn new ways of doing things if the information is shared. I know I can use all the help I can get, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeff: My photography ignorance has been on public display for quite some time now so I don't mind a little more.:blush2: I am happy to post my learning experience in the appropriate forum (help forum, I guess) with the hope that as many as need it can learn.

I'm getting myself together for some product shots to post and I look forward to hearing from OldClicker and Marc as far as the Elements/Photoshop and their very generous offers. Thanks, again!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You are bad luck, Paula.
    Now a friend wants me to do some product shots.
    Tiny little charms. But hey, they let me borrow their lights and shadow box.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shebang
    Jeff: My photography ignorance has been on public display for quite some time now so I don't mind a little more.:blush2: I am happy to post my learning experience in the appropriate forum (help forum, I guess) with the hope that as many as need it can learn.

I'm getting myself together for some product shots to post and I look forward to hearing from OldClicker and Marc as far as the Elements/Photoshop and their very generous offers. Thanks, again!
    Sorry, I missed your response. PM your address and I will get it in the mail. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

GB1

Paula - Just reading this thread.. I do like the original image and the edits to it, but as others have pointed out you should really show that the full range of what your biz can do (the type of furniture).

PLEASE don't feel shy about posting your work and feeling that you're not at an advanced stage in your photography - I think your work's good and that you have a good eye. Like everyone else we hit on some photos, miss on others. Even though some of the comments we see on PR are more subjective than hard science (such is the nature of art!), I've learned a ton here and can think of no better website on the internet for what I like to do.

Btw, IMO, post processing is a science unto itself, Photoshop being the standard but I've seen great work with 'lesser' applications. Personally I would like to just shoot and dump my work on someone else's desk and say 'make them great' ... Don't think that will happen anytime soon!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    You are bad luck, Paula.
    Now a friend wants me to do some product shots.
    Tiny little charms. But hey, they let me borrow their lights and shadow box.

Frog: Lucky you! I'm sure they will be charming!! Would you post what you do? Are these shots for use on a website?

GB1: I must admit it is rather intimidating throwing my photos up with so many jaw-dropping PR photos - but the desire to learn is stronger than the fear! And now, with the downturn of economy - both national and in my house! - it's become a necessity. This place has been a Godsend for me. So, guess I better get to it!!

OLDCLICKER: PM sent your way - thank you!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information