Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Porsche Panning

Freelance Photographer meeksdigital's Avatar

Cool Porsche (and BMW) Panning

A few of my first panning shots using the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens on my 20D. let me know what you guys think!

more can be seen on my website: www.meeksdigital.com

Last edited by meeksdigital; 04-11-2005 at 11:58 PM. Reason: update with my new signature
    Trevor Meeks
    MeeksDigital Photography
    http://www.meeksdigital.com

Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail

Re: Porsche Panning

Welcome to the boards! Great shots on your website, love the porsche one. No motion blur on the vehicle, very crisp, and the yellow works very well on the background! I'd recommend placing the image in your post though, just to avoid the extra hassle of going to another site. (I know, I'm lazy)

Great shots and welcome,

Jared

Re: Porsche Panning

thank you for the comments and suggestions! right as you replied i was just realizing that i should put the image in the post. it didnt work, because it was hosted in my PHP galleries, and wasnt a direct image link. ill host it elsewhere on my site, and do a direct link so it will show up!
    Trevor Meeks
    MeeksDigital Photography

Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail

GB1

Re: Porsche (and BMW) Panning

Meeks - Welcome. The pans are excellant with very little subject blur. The yellow car esp shows up well against the darker background. Only thing I could suggest would be to leave a little more space in front of the cars, as this gives the impression of a moving subject 'moving into' that space or to that direction.

GB

thanks for the tip, ill have to try it next time i go out.
    Trevor Meeks
    MeeksDigital Photography

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

On the other hand, magazines often like to have the car filling the frame !
    Good job wiht the 20D there's room to crop at 8MP

I think the first two are a little soft, did you sharpen them as you reduced them to post here?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Well done, vivid colors, beautiful cars, speed matched well. I would also like to see some shots with some space in front of the car.

BTW, where did you shoot those images? I'm in Petaluma and I'm wondering where you go to see those
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Of the three you presnted I think the first one is the best. I like first one the best, the contrast of the car and the background really brings out the car.
    It seems a little tight, the cropping that is, but the placement of the car is good. It gives the car a place to come from.
    Welcome to PR.com! I look forwad to seeing more from you. Make sure you check out the other forums, you'll find a wealth of information here!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Talking Re: Porsche (and BMW) Panning

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    BTW, where did you shoot those images? I'm in Petaluma and I'm wondering where you go to see those
    i took these at Infineon Raceway (sears point, as we all know it) in sonoma (actually, the southern end of sonoma valley, right by highway 37)

thanks for all of the great feedback guys. to answer the other question about sharpening, i did not sharpen any of these images. they are as shot from the camera, except for a little bit of cropping, and my copyright tag. i shot these at 4 megapixels with the 20D, because i wanted to be able to take 600+ pics on my 1gb card. i have a 2 gig on the way from B&H, along with the 1.4x converter for my 70-200 lens, so ill be set for this kinda stuff, AND i wont have to shoot 4 megapixels to get a bunch of shots!

thanks again. i will post more soon!
    Trevor Meeks
    MeeksDigital Photography

Thread Information