Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Exclamation Pls Critique the attached photos

Please critique these photos when you are able.

Thanks!

Betty
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by bjtindle
    Please critique these photos when you are able.

Thanks!

Betty
    Though hope you understand we try to help not just criticise here. I can see what you are after in the first 3, good attempt but in the first 2 the lack of sky or clouds ruins the effect for me.Use a uv filter or some such to bring out any clouds. My favourite is the 2 guys yapping.Good composing here and interesting subjects.Maybe had you cropped out the window and the harsh light coming in from the left?.Visit to Adobe ? if you have it, but good work nonetheless.Thanks for sharing.
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by bobbythebandit
    Though hope you understand we try to help not just criticise here. I can see what you are after in the first 3, good attempt but in the first 2 the lack of sky or clouds ruins the effect for me.Use a uv filter or some such to bring out any clouds. My favourite is the 2 guys yapping.Good composing here and interesting subjects.Maybe had you cropped out the window and the harsh light coming in from the left?.Visit to Adobe ? if you have it, but good work nonetheless.Thanks for sharing.
    Bobby
    Don't even worry bobby!! In my profile I think I put that I live in a rural area so there isn't very much opportunity for feedback of any kind. I'm learning as I go, by myself here, but with the help of others on line. So don't even worry. I have a polarizing lens, or is it a filter, on order. (Very new to this...might get lens/filter mixed up). It is a polarizer of some sort, will that help too? Hope so. I cropped some of the window out but wasn't sure how much I should crop. The photo of the 2 guys is my favorite also and, it was my very first picture with my camera. For some reason that roll came out very grainy but I think it was me cuz I didn't even know what apertures etc... were so I pretty much just winged it. Tell me anything you need to. What does Adobe do? Do they have a graphic program too? I am using JASC, very new to me, but I am learning I hope. Tell me more stuff if you want to, doesn't bother me at all and I do want to become better. Wait till I post my portrait (first time) attempts here in a couple of weeks. Going to take pictures of my 4 nieces and 1 nephew. BTW, have any suggestions for background in a portrait in a rural area??? Thanks for the comments.

Betty

- George Fisher -

Betty,
    Nice to see you back. Hope your trip was great.
    I like the 2nd shot alot exactly as it is. It has an old mysterious feel to it and love the composition of the buildings descending from left to right. I wouldn't want to see any blue sky or clouds in that one.
    The last one of the guys chatting is great too. Also, would not even worry about the blown out window here. I think it adds to the drama and mood , and goes with the "style" of this shot.
    The other two, I don't find very interesting, for me, but could not suggest to do anything differently. I like the framing and comp in all of these and the grainy feel gives it a certain appeal.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Betty,
    Nice to see you back. Hope your trip was great.
    I like the 2nd shot alot exactly as it is. It has an old mysterious feel to it and love the composition of the buildings descending from left to right. I wouldn't want to see any blue sky or clouds in that one.
    The last one of the guys chatting is great too. Also, would not even worry about the blown out window here. I think it adds to the drama and mood , and goes with the "style" of this shot.
    The other two, I don't find very interesting, for me, but could not suggest to do anything differently. I like the framing and comp in all of these and the grainy feel gives it a certain appeal.
    My trip was great, except for the driving. Never again by myself from here to San Diego!! ICK! Story in itself. The second photo is actually one building...the photo is cropped somewhat, not much. It is an old granary/seed building or something, not sure what it is/was for. I just love the building. The whole thing, which I do have pictures of, just meanders all over the place to the top. The third picture, if I remember right is the same building, just at the bottom floor on the street side. The church is just a favorite of mine, but I am not sure why. I think I like the starkness of the picture. And...as I said in the earlier post, the two guys are probably one of my favorite photos if not my favorite. I think there was a mirror behind me too which probably really helped to blow out the light in the pic. The other pictures of the 2 guys did not come out at all, very blurry. Sure it was me too! I have about 20 rolls of film to develop....hehehheh hopefully some of them will turn out decent.

Thanks so much for your comments and your welcome back! I do appreciate it!

Betty

- George Fisher -

Hi,
    I like the bottom left because of the composition and the mood. The bottom right is also good, however, the white area is overexposed which may spoil the atmosphere.
    yoyo

Hi, Betty.

Is that short for Elizabeth? I am married to a liz and she goes mad if i call her Betty. Glad my comments where of some help. What make of camera do you have.I have the old workhorse, a canon ae1 which is also an slr. These are great cameras and very versatile. Sadly pressure on my time has made me move to an digital camera.
    This is handy for me to get pics on to the comp and then try and correct the mistakes i made when shooting, ha ha.
    Best piece of advice i give to any learners ? imagine each picture you are about to take is going to cost you 20 dollars. Now at that price you are going to start being sure that everything is lined up for a good pic. Dont go mad taking pics and "hoping" you get a good one. Check the light, the subject, have a look through the lens and see is this what you want before pressing the trigger. I have drawers full of rubbish pics i took over the years and i never look at them.
    Some guide lines for portraits ?
    (1) They are children i guess ? if so be sure they will get bored pretty quick.If they know there is a reward after you are finished, a treat or something that can help.
    (2) Srat with the youngest if doing individual pics.
    (3) Ask them to bring a change or two of sweaters or t shirts.
    (4) Groups should have large kids to the back or try getting big kids to sit on the ground with smaller ones standing behind them.
    (5) In portraits the subject is the main centre of attention.Do not have a great background that takes the eye away from the subject.In fact use a aperture that will shorten the depth of field, resulting in the child being sharp and the background fuzzy.
    (6) Look in any magazines and see how the experts set up portraits. I always break them in to four groups (a) Head only , most of the hair.(b) Head and shoulders, none of the arms,.(c) Torso, includes head and all of the arms and hands. (d) All of the body from head to toe.
    This is an awful lot and i could tell you some more but dont want to over load you, Betty.
    Have a go and make it fun for the kids, looking forward to seeing the results.In case i miss them would you drop me an email via my profile details.
    Good luck, Bobby

Talking

Is that short for Elizabeth? I am married to a liz and she goes mad if i call her Betty. Glad my comments where of some help. What make of camera do you have.I have the old workhorse, a canon ae1 which is also an slr. These are great cameras and very versatile. Sadly pressure on my time has made me move to an digital camera.
    This is handy for me to get pics on to the comp and then try and correct the mistakes i made when shooting, ha ha.
    Best piece of advice i give to any learners ? imagine each picture you are about to take is going to cost you 20 dollars. Now at that price you are going to start being sure that everything is lined up for a good pic. Dont go mad taking pics and "hoping" you get a good one. Check the light, the subject, have a look through the lens and see is this what you want before pressing the trigger. I have drawers full of rubbish pics i took over the years and i never look at them.
    Some guide lines for portraits ?
    (1) They are children i guess ? if so be sure they will get bored pretty quick.If they know there is a reward after you are finished, a treat or something that can help.
    (2) Srat with the youngest if doing individual pics.
    (3) Ask them to bring a change or two of sweaters or t shirts.
    (4) Groups should have large kids to the back or try getting big kids to sit on the ground with smaller ones standing behind them.
    (5) In portraits the subject is the main centre of attention.Do not have a great background that takes the eye away from the subject.In fact use a aperture that will shorten the depth of field, resulting in the child being sharp and the background fuzzy.
    (6) Look in any magazines and see how the experts set up portraits. I always break them in to four groups (a) Head only , most of the hair.(b) Head and shoulders, none of the arms,.(c) Torso, includes head and all of the arms and hands. (d) All of the body from head to toe.
    This is an awful lot and i could tell you some more but dont want to over load you, Betty.
    Have a go and make it fun for the kids, looking forward to seeing the results.In case i miss them would you drop me an email via my profile details.
    Good luck, Bobby
    No, my name is Betty Jo, my sister's name is Elizabeth. When I joined the Air Force I had to prove it. We are each named after aunt's on both sides of the family.

My camera is a Chinon 35mm CP-7M SLR and I have a Concorde Eye-Q Duo 2000 digital. I am still learning about both of my cameras! I like the flexibility of the digital, but I usually bring both cameras with me so I can develop photos of the same area and also have instant gratification! I love it!

For the portraits, yes, children. Oldest is 11, youngest is 3-1/2 yrs. So it will be fun. I will remember about a treat or something and I know I will have to give them some playtime in between, or nothing good will come of anything.

I can't wait to take them, I think they will be mostly torso shots, only cuz of varying heights and it will be easier for them, I hope. I will send them via email when I get them developed. I will probably take some with the digital too, just to have an idea of what they look like. There is a park across the street from my house with a gazebo, I think I will take them there and then to my sister's house, some hay stacks laying around they just cut, so those might give a little variety, both to the pics and to the kids. They love my sister's house, horses, pigs, chickens, and all that neat stuff. Might be more at ease.
    You can tell me more if you like, you can also send me anything via my email in profile if you like. Then I can save it easier!

Thank you so much!

Betty

- George Fisher -

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    Hi,
    I like the bottom left because of the composition and the mood. The bottom right is also good, however, the white area is overexposed which may spoil the atmosphere.
    yoyo

Thanks Yoyo, I do understand what you mean about the clouds, or lack of clouds. I am glad you like those two. I do too! Thanks for commenting!

Betty

- George Fisher -

Ok Betty Joe

Now how about standing outside your house and shooting a few of the views from there including your house ?
    Heres some i did of my kids many moons ago. Hope they can give you some ideas.
    Bobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pls Critique the attached photos-log.jpg   Pls Critique the attached photos-table.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now how about standing outside your house and shooting a few of the views from there including your house ?
    Heres some i did of my kids many moons ago. Hope they can give you some ideas.
    Bobby

I like these, can see the progression in age of the kids in each picture. Very nice!! Right in front of my house is the football field/basketball court/baseball field for the middle school. The basketball court being right directly in front of my house along with the old bldg to store atheletic equipment. The football field in summer though is beautiful, they water it all summer long and the grass is great. The park I spoke of earlier is attached to the baseball field at the other end of the football field. The park is not part of the school, just such a small town there could be no other place for it.

Oh, and it is Betty JO, no "e". Just so ya know!

Thanks so much for the ideas too.

Betty

- George Fisher -

Thread Information