Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Photo for a contest at the library

Naturally, it has to have something to do with reading, and I enjoy making my shots different than all the others. Here is the link to the contest guidelines just so you can see, and also so you can see the other photos (in the gallery, link near the top right of the page). So, here it is... could it be better, and is it better than some of the other photos in the contest? This is my first contest....

My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Re: Photo for a contest at the library

I like the glow of the candle. I don't know much about the technical details, but I just get a good feel out of the picture. It's very comforting and makes me not want to stop staring at it with that warm glow. nice job!

I'm just totally guessing but I think a contest like that would want to promote the idea of reading. Consider composing a shot that "markets/promotes" reading in a stronger way.

Another thing, I'm assuming this is a public library therefore having Jesus Christ in your picture may not be politically correct. I'm Catholic so I have nothing against that image.

Remember, your image will be posted in the library when you ultimately win. Good luck!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

i like the picture alot i think the candle does it for me, the glow, but like the otheres, i dunno how the libary will feel about it, i say you have a decent shot, but i havnt seen the compition

OK... now I dont know how I forgot to post the link to the contest webpage. Here it is: http://www.wcls.org/somerreading.htm
    And now that it has been said, I do realize that a children's bible book from the 1880's (at least with a picture showing, although I love the look of the picture) may not be the best idea. Perhaps I will just turn the page to a non-picture page and try this again and show you again.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Here's the second try. I think it looks pretty good. Now, how does it compare to the photos that have been entered so far?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I like the idea behind your image, and I think you executed it very well.

As for the other images in the contest... they all pretty much look the same to me. Someone or something reading a book. I do think the stuffed animals is a cute image, but nothing special. I really like the girl reading in the loft of the barn image. Most of the others look like snap shots with very little thought put into them.

Your image stands out to me, because it is different from the majority of the photos and you can tell that some thougth went into making it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I agree about many of the photos and of the barn shot being very well done. Thanks for the comment. I'll just have to see how it goes, unless anyone can suggest any changes that I can make to make mine even better.

Perhaps an old pair of reading glasses sitting on or next to the book would add a little more impact to your image. Just a thought.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

i kind of like the one with the picture better, however i do agree that it should not be noticably the bible (something i wouldn't have though of) maybe go to the library and try to find an old book with the big fancy pictures like that.

other wise i really like the mood that the lighting sets, i don't know why (and don;t get upset about it) but it really reminds me of the neverending story. LOL
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

I think the book pages are much too dark. You have to dodge some light onto the bood pages.

Old reading glasses are a great idea, but I dont think I have any or could find any within a day or two. As for lighting, I am lighting the pages entirely with the candle (and I hold something shiny over the scene so it will reflect better and light more) and the shutter is 30 seconds long. Any additional lighting I can do on my editing program.

And thank you everyone for liking the lighting. It's not all the time that you see a photo like this, as far as I know, and that is what I am going for.

A very nice shot David. I'd suggest trying a more angled composition with the candle positioned above the right corner of the book. The shot with the illustration is more interesting, too.
    I also like like a less saturated version with the color shift away from red toward yellow some.

Good luck in the competition, you have a good shot at it.
    ----------------------------

I like the shot. But the book looks to new. What about an old book of nursery ryhmes. Maybe an old copy of The wizard of OZ. The glasses idea is great.

Well, it is not very new with a copyright from over 100 years ago, and printed at the same time. I can't find anything older than that very easily.

I maybe wrong but I think I saw a pocket watch in one of your shots one time? I remember the shot had a lot of stacked coins and I really liked it. If you have a pocket watch I think it would look good in the photo. Other than that the red in your photo is overpowering, but I love the composition.

Perhaps two candles to get around the dim/red issue? One taller than the other? how about letting the flame be seen a little?

I agree that the only real competition so far is the barn picture. What amazes me is that at least three of the photos have nothing whatsoever to do with reading or books. Don't people read the brief for the competition?

Good luck with it!!
    Mike

Yes, that shot with the old watch and money was mine.

I entered it into the contest how it looks, so I will see how it goes and let you know if I remember to. Thanks for all the help!

GB1

It's a great mood photo alright. I think it's very eye catching as the composition and lighting are great. If the contest is about reading, it might suffer from the lack of one's ability to read any of the words on the page (from the photo). But is still makes a big-time impression.

GL on the contest.

Gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Well, after everything, it turns out that I did not win ANY prize, or even an honorable mention. What really annoys me is that the grand prize winner is a good pic, but has nothing to do with reading at all! :mad2:

aww man that sucks, your photo was so good to.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

So what photo won, and what other photos placed?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Go to THIS LINK to see the winners... :idea: It just doesnt seem right...

GB1

Well, I've given up trying to figure out what judges are looking for in photo contests ... But it appears that they were going for the "cutsy"-type shots rather than the type you did here, which was more dramatic. Good try though.

Keep entering, and remember to "Know your enemy... ERR... judges or instructors" when it comes to this type stuff. Everyone's looking for something different and if you are really looking to win then you have to know what they want!

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

I'm guessing the judges for this contest were not photographers? It will be interesting to see what the "Peoples Choice Poll" results are. Keep us posted.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information