Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Peace sign reshoot

I went back as early as I could get there to reshoot this. With a little better exposer I think. I just love this sign. I wish the field in the background was a little better. There is a lilly pond just to the left of this sign that is awesome. But this is private property.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peace sign reshoot-piecesign01as.jpg  
    Last edited by Greg McCary; 08-01-2006 at 07:42 PM.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Re: Peace sign reshoot

If you don't mind me asking, what was your goal with this photo?

I like that sign, also. I think I would try cropping out the field on the right as it's hot and distracts. Just my humble opinion.

There was no real goal. I just like the sign. It at the end of a farmers driveway.

The exposure on this one is soooo much better than the other. I can tell now that the sign is not only blue (before it looked gray) but it is a picture of the earth (I think). The background is still overexposed though. It's not a mystery that the sign is the main focus of the photo. Because of that I think you should actually MAKE it the main focus of the photo. The feild in the back is not really needed. Though it may be beautiful when you are there, it's not adding anything to your photo, it's doing the exact opposite.

Since you like the sign, (I like it too) go back and shoot it again and fill the frame with it. Shoot it dead on. Fill the frame with the sign using just enough of the tree on the outside to create a nice frame for it. I think you have an excellent photo here but you just have to pull it out of you.

GB1

I like this version better. However, are you closer? Seems like the other one was farther away and maybe a bit more mysterious. The background here is better. Still seems to me that something might be "missing" here... not sure what. Maybe a person lying down and staring at the sky, or some cows walking around in that background. Hmm. Also, it appears just a tad soft: did you use a tripod? Probably a good idea at early morning locations since the light will be low and hence the SS pretty slow.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I will go back and try to fill the picture with the sign. I will also take my tripod. Eventually I would like to have a catalog of neat and different signs on my web site if I every get one. Just something im into.. Thanks for all of the help guys........

Well guys, any better with the cropping????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peace sign reshoot-piecesign02bs.jpg  

I like this one the best. What do you think about it Greg?

I like the concept but even the cropped version has areas of overexposure

Seb

I think that your composition in the original version is good. I don't feel the need to fill the frame with the sign from a compositional point of view. However, I obviously can't pass the fact that the field in the background is seriously blown out. I guess that it would worth to go back earlier in the morning for a softer light. Another possibility could be to go there at dawn when it is getting fairly dark and shoot this very scene with a long exposure (tripod) and then, giving an hint of fill flash on the sign to detach it from the rest of the picture. Just some thoughts!!

Seb

Gary,

What camera settings are you using? (ie. film speed, aperture, time value) I still like the crop best, I just think it needs some color enhancement to make the leaves greener...

I think I may be the only one who perfers the crop. Which one do you perfer?

I"m not sure of the camera settings. I bracketed the shot and this is the best of the bunch. I could have used a tripod the light levels of the sign were low. The only reason I didn't use a tripod is the location of the sign. It is on private property, I don't want to get shot, and I haven't talked to the owner yet. I hear the owner is a little strange, but I intent to call him and see if he minds me taking pictures. There is one nice looking lilly pond just pass this sign that is awesome. I do like the cropped one but in the first one I just thought it would be nice to have the earth in the background. I might retry once I talk to the owner. Thanks for all of the help.

Have you thought about making a series of shots (perhaps, 3) with the peace sign
    becoming closer and larger (kind of like a drive-by on a country road) ....just some
    thoughts...I LOVE the peace sign. I also like the first shot because it seems kind of
    random.

I think cropping just a little off the first shot in this thread would have worked. I like being able to see the field in the background and cropping off part of the right side would cut down on the distraction caused by the sunlight in the field. You have a great eye to have found this.

Thanks Ladybug. I think I just have to catch this shot just at the right time and haven't been able to. I need the field doing something special. I will go back soon. Why haven't you posted lately? Where's those lovely flowers?

I did reshoot them but I'm not sure if I like them. I'll get a couple resized and posted. Thanks for missing me!

Thread Information