Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Out of gas...

Out of gas...

Found this old service station, but had a hard time trying to make it an interesting shot. I'm not sure if I like the tall or wide format better.
    I would have liked a wider angle on it, but there was a late-model truck just off the left side, and a gate just to the right.
    Was wondering what you all thought of it.

Thanks, Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Out of gas...-old-gas-pumps-tall.jpg   Out of gas...-old-gas-pumps.jpg  
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” –Edmund Burke

Re: Out of gas...

hey chuck i myself prefer the tall one but in my books both are nice, this is an intresting shot. i have been always fasinated with old gas stations. one thing i wish there was less tree action in the images but that not in your control...good work

todd

I like the wide, shows the cool old building, the trees and vegetation give it another element of oldness. Very pleasing shot right down to the sky.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

The second is much stronger. Much better context and you have a cool two-vanishing-point thing going on like a classic painting. The first has too much extraneous stuff that really means nothing to me as a viewer.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I also like the second one, but would recommend possibly a black and white shot. May had alot of effect.

Jared

Hey Chuck,

I'm partial to your second shot. Nice find/vision on the subject and composition.

The lighting, however, is a little harsh for me on the foreground/left. If this is near by, it may be worth a reshoot with warmer evenling glows....

Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Photographic Lifestyle

I really like the second one, very calming, if you are going to do a b/w conversion make sure you keep the midtones. Lovely though, nice find.

i tryed b&w on the second picture and applied an warming filter (orange) in PS and i must say it gives me the "old picture" feeling. Like it

Thanks for all the responses, guys.
    This picture just bugged me because I really liked the subject matter, but couldn't figure out how to compose it to my liking. I would have gotten closer to the pumps but there were the "No Trespassing" signs up and the people were home next door. I'll have to reshoot it next time I'm in Oklahoma.
    You ever notice whenever you see something interesting on the other side of a fence there's always "No Trespassing" signs plastered everywhere? *sigh*

Thanks much,
    Chuck
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” –Edmund Burke

Thread Information