Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Beautiful bride, ugly cup

I just love this shot of the bride. Her eyes, mouth, fingers, and veil (except for the dark spot lower right) are great. I think it's a very seductive shot.

But the cup is gosh-darn ugly. I've tried reducing the saturation, and making it B&W, but it is ugly no matter what I do.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what to do to either replace the cup with something better (what?) or fiddle with adjustments to make the cup look better?

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beautiful bride, ugly cup-becca.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Yes it is a very seductive shot.She is really pretty anyway but this good set-up brings out the best in her(was nearly gonna say BEAST) ! Only thing to try is to change the colour of the glass to a softer less dominant shade.I am of to work in a few mins otherwise i would have a go in PS. Will check back tomorow and if its still the same will have a go.
    Bobby

Beware: Mom With Camera

Such a pretty shot! I agree, the cup ruins it. The only thing I can think of is a tight crop so you can still see that she is drinking out of a cup, but the cup is not the dominant focus of the shot....?
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I just love this shot of the bride. Her eyes, mouth, fingers, and veil (except for the dark spot lower right) are great. I think it's a very seductive shot.

But the cup is gosh-darn ugly. I've tried reducing the saturation, and making it B&W, but it is ugly no matter what I do.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what to do to either replace the cup with something better (what?) or fiddle with adjustments to make the cup look better?

Any ideas?
    How about lighten and desaturate the class?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beautiful bride, ugly cup-02.jpg  

Looks like you could play around and get different effects. Too bad the glass is so huge!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beautiful bride, ugly cup-becca.jpg  
    Lara

learning member
    Hello Kelly ,
    This is a great photo except for the glass like you have mentioned.
    What i like about this photo is the beautifull eyes of the bride ..
    It is a pity you can't shoot this again !

Maybe try to clone out the glass and insert a nicer wineglass in photoshop ?

Even for that i really like this one !!

Greetings
    james

make it match her eyes?

I think the cup adds character. I love this shot. Maybe since the color of the cup is so distracting, try to change the color of the cup to compliment her eyes?

VD

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean

Any ideas?
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Oooh, VD, that's a great idea!

I like the desaturation ... I tried that too, but I think something inside me just hates that cup. I was following her around before the ceremony, just getting candids. She was very photogenic, perhaps TOO photogenic (she "posed" for me each time she saw the camera, even when I was trying to capture emotion), but she paid no attention to the little "details". I think the greatest success I had that day was just capturing her energy.

I will look at the cup with new eyes, though, and play with matching it to hers. I think that is the best way to go. Thanks, everyone!

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Yes, this is what i would have done ! so less dominant, well done Chink.
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by bobbythebandit
    Yes, this is what i would have done ! so less dominant, well done Chink.
    Bobby
    Thanks, but its kinda ragged - I didn't take much care because its's just a demo sort of thing. I'm sure Kelly'll take more care in selecting and such.

Yep, I will. Thanks!

The saturated cup variant looks much better IMO as it fits in with her dress / the look of the photo. In order to make there be less cup present however, you will have to do some serious clone & patch work. Basically you'll have to cover up (and then re-integrate) the bottom portion of the glass by making a realistic extension of her arm (narrowing as you go, etc.). Might be more trouble than it's worth but it can certainly be done in a convincing way if you have the time.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information