Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Old shot tower

Old shot tower

This is a strange sight if you dont know what your looking at, Well its an old building, (tall shot tower) that has been "preserved" in a glass dome. Very interesting and i think this shot is good, just wanna know which is better, colour or B&W?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

woah ---cool BW

what is a shot tower? and why is it so important that it would be encapsulated in glass?

awesome shot the persepective and angle are really creative...

very tiny nitpik is the bit of building on the bottom and adrk area to the left(line)(distracting) and I would "burn in" some of the structure on the lower right(loss of detail on the bar)...really striking shot Jezz...good eye...

I rotated the picture a quarter of a degree CCW and darkened the image in bW and got the bar dark enough then converted to Bw and adjusted the curves. just an idea

also can you post the original uncropped version...I wondered what we didn't get to see thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by natatbeach; 02-17-2004 at 05:23 AM.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

while i am a big fan of B&W (hey, just read my signature!) i think in this photo the color version is better. too much info is lost converting to b&w- which is still a pretty cool shot. heck the color version is practically monochromatic anyway, why not keep the subtle browns and blues? whichever you decide, i like the shot. it's fun to look at!
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Colour works better for me in this shot but good idea to convert to B&W never any harm to experiment.Any help you need on these lines contact Natatbeach, shes the tops at this.
    Bobby

thanks for the response, A shot tower is the tall building that they drop lead the full lenght into water which creates round balls. These balls are used in shot guns.
    I too prefer the colour, also not much was cropped off, just a little off the side, bit boring, and lopsided.

Thread Information