Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Pier, Rocks and Tide-pool

I shot this at Pawleys Island SC using my Mamiya M645
    F16 @ 1\60th
    Tmax 400
    Developed in Tmax
    Scanned with Epson 3170 Photo and worked on a lot in PS.

I did a poor job with this shot, it offered more than any other motif I had all week. The silence was amazing and the water was so still flowing into the tide pool. I just missed the far water\sky line when I metered and exposed. I bracketed this shot and still missed the exposure for the sky!

Anyway...please let me know how I could have made it better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pier, Rocks and Tide-pool-tide-pool-copy.jpg  

I think you've already given yourself answers on how to improve this, though the image isn't as bad as you make it out to be. The scan may have caused some softness in the frame...the foreground rocks aren't sharp, and I think they need to be. Your composition is excellent, and I get a very serene, moody feeling out of this. Good one.

if you're willing

could you post the original for comparison...it would help to give you better suggestions for improvement...

as far as the feel and composition of the image I think it's very peaceful shot, as it was mentioned...please most more
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

hmmm... yeah, i think you're being a bit too hard on yourself. of course, i do the same thing, it's a good thing when we are our own strongest critics. that said, i would be proud to have taken this shot. it really works for me.
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

thanks

thanks all for your comments
    It was just one of those moments whe you think..."man...what a shot"... and the sky just was not ther.

I will scan the negs again and post it as shot.

Thread Information