Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Notice - Editing Other People's Photos!

You may have noticed that we recently changed the way the forum photo upload works. It now uploads all photos to the gallery. Anything you upload here will also be posted to your Member Gallery, in the gallery section of the site.

Because some of you edit other people's photos and repost them, in order to illustrate your critiques, photos that don't belong to you are unintentionally ending up in your Member Gallery. This is bad. Until we have a solution for this, I'm going to ask that people either refrain from editing other photographer's images, or they immediately go to the gallery and delete the edited photos from their Member Galleries. Photos you upload in the forums will still show in the forums if you delete them from the gallery.

If someone edits one of your photos and reposts it, make sure to tell them to delete it from their Member Gallery. We all need to make sure that we only have our own photos in our galleries. And I'm working on a backend solution to eliminate the problem without having to change the way the upload works. It's good to have all of our images in the gallery. But we just need to make sure that we only have our own images posted in our accounts.

Note that you can always go back and edit or delete any photos you post in the forums or galleries. I upload manufacturer's product photos with press releases. They post to my Member Gallery so I immediately go to my gallery and delete them. They still appear with the press releases on the news forum. But they are removed from my gallery so there's no copyright infringement issue.

Please start paying attention to this, immediately! This is very important. And I promise I'm working on a fix so that you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Thanks!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Notice - Editing Other People's Photos!

I think that the Delete Photo option in the gallery needs to be in a more noticeable location. I did not even see it, until it was brought to my attention by another member.

You might also want to consider a POST to my gallery as well as forum option clearly in a prominent location in the upload photo section.

Ronnoco

Maybe I'm a few days behind, but don't you have the option to NOT include a photo in your gallery at the time of upload? Right under the "Upload Photos" button there is a box you can uncheck that will prevent it from ever going into your gallery....unless I'm mistaken and it doesn't work that way.

Paul

in aesthetic sense, i see it as infringement of the photographic beauty, the original author has produced after how much labour/expectations, and that photo is edited/copied itself involve the infringement of moral values, for which anybody stand here or anywhere. besides the pain the author bears cannot be compensated. so in the name of moral duty/values, this deed shd be avoided, which in turn incite other photographers to post their original work always and get credit for it.

I appreciate the intent of this forum. I will submit my opinion. (You know what they say concerning opinions... :-) _ ). I feel that there is NO reason to EVER edit another person's image. I have my email listed in my profile. If anyone wants to open a dialogue to HELP me, and chooses to "Re-edit," one of my posts - then do it through the email avenue. I believe that submission of an image is clearly the intent of the originator and artist, and in good sportsmanship, should NEVER be altered by anyone in any gallery upload. That's my story and I am stickin' to it! :-) I have occasionally taken an image and re-engineered it to see what I wanted to see, then I immediately place it in my "Trash can." It is not my image - and I have NO RIGHT to retain it for any reason. Have a wonderful day - all this chat concerning images has me hot to trot out to the wildlife refuge that surrounds my home and capture some daylight in pixels! :-) Thanks!
    "Vini, Vidi, Vici."

Thanks Gilliamhome. I must add when I first joined PR I needed all of the help I could get and certainly didn't mind anyone editing my pictures if I thought I could learn something new. When I first started here I had no clue how Photo Shop worked. It was all I could do to resize a picture to post it. Let alone sharpen an image or anything else.LOL
    We have members here that, like me, don't mind edits and some do. 99.9% of the time one is ask and given permission first here at PR and we have had no problems or hurt feelings.
    By the way. I check out your gallery. Great work. I may have commented on a picture of yours before. "Sun Cast amber glow" is a spendid picture.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

ctg

Hmm . . editing the work of others? I general can find similar mistakes in my own work that I will use to make 'editing proceedures' available to others. I feel that this makes the case for 'see you aren't the the only one' and this is 'how I dealt with it'.

I don't think it's a real big deal as long as the original uploader makes sure that they upload a non original sized image. There's no way on earth you can possibly print off a 50 dpi 300 width photo to any sellable quality to anyone

Yeah, but i'm yo momma - so i'm gonna come edit all your pictures to look however Momma wants them to look! - Yo Momma, Photo-Mom

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photo-mom
    Yeah, but i'm yo momma - so i'm gonna come edit all your pictures to look however Momma wants them to look! - Yo Momma, Photo-Mom
    Don't let your mother get away with that statement John
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by photo-mom
    Oh boy, I knew the day would come when I'd have to ban my mom. Very sad
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

There is a button that if unchecked, would not upload images to our gallery. One suggestion to help avoid this issue, is simply to have it turned off (unchecked) by default. This way, when someone is editing the photo for help... they won't unknowingly add it to their gallery.

I've had one or two times had to edit the image myself for someone in order to illustrate the result, were it not for pure luck, I would not have noticed the button. Which is checked by default...
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thread Information