Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Newbie jumps right in...

Hi people! I've been lurking around this site for some time and find it very helpful to read the critiques. I'd like to be in on the action, so to speak, and love just talking shop with other photo lovers. You have some talented photographers here and I would love to learn more, so please don't worry about offending me with critism. No worries, i like truth.
    This photo was taken at the beach and I made a big mistake... had the WB set to "tungsten" doh! I tried to color correct in ps but not sure if it looks normal yet.
    Thanks and nice to meet you all,
    Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Welcome. Glad you decided to join the fray.

Though the child looks to be fair-skinned, the skin tones are not quite right still as you guessed. However, the larger issue with this shot is that the face is out of focus. Notice the water beads under the jawline (to the left). That's where the focus point of this photograph is, unfortunately, rather than on the eyes which is the usual route with portraits of any kind. Otherwise it probably would've turned out OK.

This may have resulted from the child not being perfectly still when you shot the picture (probably at a fairly slow shutter speed).
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Puck, Thanks for responding so fast, I've read your reviews and feel that you know what you're talking about. This case is no different. I see what you mean about the focus..grr, never noticed that. It was shot at f4 and 1/125 so it was prob me that shook the camera. Basically I see now that no amount of color correction will fix the prob. Thank you so much!
    Kit

No problem. And I wouldn't say it's impossible to color correct the shot, assuming you have a good histogram on the original, but it would be a chore to get it to look natural in this case. Sometimes you'll find it's wiser to spend time practicing your camera technique (based on whatever lessons have been learned), than it is trying to fix every situation in the computer.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

yeah Puck, i get you. The problem is that I took 65 shots that day at the beach and they are all blue! lol I started out fine but it was so bright out that I decided to change the wb to daylight and could barely see the lcd, so i thought the "bulb" was the "sun". wont make that mistake again. As for this pic, if its out of focus, the color doesnt matter, and it is. oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Hi people! I've been lurking around this site for some time and find it very helpful to read the critiques. I'd like to be in on the action, so to speak, and love just talking shop with other photo lovers. You have some talented photographers here and I would love to learn more, so please don't worry about offending me with critism. No worries, i like truth.
    This photo was taken at the beach and I made a big mistake... had the WB set to "tungsten" doh! I tried to color correct in ps but not sure if it looks normal yet.
    Thanks and nice to meet you all,
    Kit
    Paintshop pro has an automatic color balance that will remove a color cast and warm or cool an image. I used that and then a histogram adjustment that is kind of like levels and curves combined to get this. I don't care for the greenish shadow on the shoulder. Are the subject's eyes green?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Chunk...

Thanks for trying, but I feel that your version is too green. I'm going to put it aside for awhile since I have 64 more images to get the blue out of!! lol
    Kit

Thread Information