Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Newbie

I have been looking to start a hobby and decided that I found great pleasure in taking pictures. I just purchased a Fuji S5000 digital (SLR-like) camera.

Does anyone have any tips for me regarding how to start up as a hobbiest? If anyone has this camera, please pass on any tips to me.

I just can't wait until i have a picture that i am so proud of that I want to share it with you.
    jcitsog1

Quote Originally Posted by jcitsog1
    I have been looking to start a hobby and decided that I found great pleasure in taking pictures. I just purchased a Fuji S5000 digital (SLR-like) camera.

Does anyone have any tips for me regarding how to start up as a hobbiest? If anyone has this camera, please pass on any tips to me.

I just can't wait until i have a picture that i am so proud of that I want to share it with you.
    Welcome to the hobby. One thing to do is click on the Learn tab in the menu bar at the top of this page.

Besides learning the mechanics of operating your new camera, you will want to learn the basics of exposure and composition. You will probably find many books on basic photography in your local library. While those are written with the film camera in mind, most info will be applicable to your digi as well.

Don't wait for that perfect photo to start posting. Go over to the Critique forum and post some of the ones you are having trouble with and ask for feedback on them.

kes

digicam as a hobby

I too am a Newbie and am still studying my first digicam purchase. I am reading Bockaert's book "1 2 3 Digital Imaging" and other books from www.shortcourses.com. I am registered for a workshop at the local art museum.

I hope to make a photo database of my collection of Christmas tree ornaments and take photos of potential code violations at nearby rental properties.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on starting up this weekend with my newborn neice! I will post some pics on Sunday.
    jcitsog1

Thread Information