Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: New York

iclayton

New York

I was going through some of my photo's from last year and came up with these 3 from New York, What do you think I could do to make them better.

Iain.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by iclayton
    I was going through some of my photo's from last year and came up with these 3 from New York, What do you think I could do to make them better.

Iain.

Hello Iclayton,

I like your compostions here, these pictures seems well crafted to me. I'd say that the lightning look a tad flat on the two street scenes (which most likely have to do with the period of the day when they were taken) and I might crop the cab shot on the right side to avoid having the cab horizontally centered but other than that, I don't really see how to impvove them.

I might also go for a tighter crop on the building shot to put further emphasis on the reflection of the glass wall and make it more of an abstract but then again, i'd say that your picture is interesting at the first place.

regards

Seb

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar
    I'm gonna go against what Seb says and say that these look more like grab shots than well thought out. The first photo could have probably been better if it was taken at a different time of day. The sun is really wreaking havoc on the exposure not to mention the amount of flare on the windows.

The second and third images I think could use some different point of view/angles/composition. The first seems much to busy to me, well it is New York right ;) The main focus is the cab and that is dead center of the shot almost. With all the comotion that is going on in the background the eye has a hard time finding its way into the photo. Maybe have the cab as large portion of the image and then have the background be a litle more out of focus but still visible as to whats going on.

The last shot could have been better composed with maybe a different angle (lower to the ground possibly) to try and eliminate the stop light that breaks up the photo.

Overall they work well though to show the city as you saw it, the commotion on the street, the tour bus, the large buildings, the advertising, speeding taxi cabs etc.

Thanks for sharing,
    scott

Thread Information