Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle

Any thoughts on improving this? I've been working on it a while - had to 'mend' the feathers on the end of one wing and worked a lot with the light. How does the sharpening look?

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Liz

Re: Bald Eagle

On my screen, the sharpening looks just fine.

I know I'm supposed to "critique" this bird. However, the moment I saw it, it became one of those "this almost takes my breath away" beautiful images.

Let me just say that the composition is awe-inspiring. The position of the wings add to the beauty of the image. I could on, but the problems here won"t let me type without ah uge delay....UGH!

I cannot find anything to change or improve.

BEAUTIFUL!

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Definitely a good shot and it looks very sharp as far as I can see at this size. I love the dynamic position and motion.
    I think the only way this might be better to my eyes would be with more context which I know can be tough with wildlife and especially a bird. So as shot it's as good as it can be and that is very good.

This is a particularly well done shot Terry, you have a magnificent animal in a great pose, its not hard for the imagination to add its own context.
    The sharpness is just about spot on, but I feel a minor nit pic is the exposure, it looks as though during post you lightened the shadows a tiny bit too much, either that or perhaps add a touch more contrast.
    Its not hard to see why you should choose this bird as a national symbol.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Great shot. I would suggest that there may be too many mid tones ...a little bit stronger shadow (blacks are fine) and highlights may work a wee bit better. That will get it from a 26 to 27. Nice. Gotta come with :-)

wow! awesome image !

Agree with the comments about the exposure, it looks odd
    The tail has a dark halo inside the feathers, probably result of increasing the exposure with a brush , if you used ACR or develop module in lightroom, maybe using auto-mask will help , otherwise zooming in ,and doing more careful work with the brush

The white feathers in the tail look brighter than the head, so I think the head can use a touch more whites

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Terry-

This is a great shot thanks for sharing it!
    My first thought was 'Oooh great shot, what happened to it's tail?' The cloning under the wing and on the tail looks over bright and too blue for the rest of the body - my eyes went right to it as soon as I opened the thread. I understand you want feedback on the edited image but I'm having trouble understanding what needed mending. Seeing what you are trying to correct would help, would you share the unedited original for comparison?
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst View Post
    Terry-

This is a great shot thanks for sharing it!
    My first thought was 'Oooh great shot, what happened to it's tail?' The cloning under the wing and on the tail looks over bright and too blue for the rest of the body - my eyes went right to it as soon as I opened the thread. I understand you want feedback on the edited image but I'm having trouble understanding what needed mending. Seeing what you are trying to correct would help, would you share the unedited original for comparison?
    Here is the original along with the current iteration of processing. I'm getting PP on PP now and it will soon be time to start over. - Terry

-----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

OH!!! I see now! OK Your edit to repair the cropped wing is excellent! Sharp and appropriate it gives this shot the breathing room it needs in the frame. I thought repair had been done to the tail and the other wing! My suggestion for this shot is more in agreement with what llewpics and Pete and I think the exposure in that area has been pushed a bit too hard. I'd bring back some shadow to the body and tail to make it more realistic looking.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Any thoughts on improving this? I've been working on it a while - had to 'mend' the feathers on the end of one wing and worked a lot with the light. How does the sharpening look?

Terry
    Nice shot Terry!!!
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Excellent job reconstructing the wing !

the tail still doesn't look good, my opinion would be to stick to global adjustments, pull the shadows, some added contrast and clarity , that keeps the natural light and shadows.

Great shot! However, I am not sure how to explain this. The color does not look real. Perhaps, it is my eyes.

GB1

Terry - First of all, spectacular capture. If you could do this again I would say you're definitely on your way to nailing the tough world of fast-action photography, like this and sports.

I do like the shot, but I think what is off about it is the areas that should be darkish are too light. I suspect (w/o reading your previous comments) that you used a shadow recovery function/effect. I think it is alright to do that, but I would tone it down, at least 1/3 or 1/2 less than used, for it doesn't look real. Knowing how far to go w/ the tools is a big part of what we do, and I guess that's why we ask up here for feedback!

Hope this helps - GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I may not be an expert but it looks beautiful!

That's a once in a lifetime shot. Excellent!

I have taken many, many bird shots and it is hard to get one as good as your original. Like you, I would have taken a good bit of time to try to optimize it. I think your final is great, but seems overly "posterized." You have given up the shadows that define the shape and three dimensional contours for the sake of bringing out the detail.

I personally like the original better (but thats just me). The other is nice too but looks a bit unnatural for my taste.

The bald eagle was chosen June 20, 1782 as the emblem of the United States of American, because of its long life, great strength and majestic looks, and also because it was then believed to exist only on this continent.

Why "Bald" eagle? FYI: The name comes from an old English word — piebald — which meant “white headed” rather than hairless.

Thread Information