Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My photo untitled. (warning...some offensive words)

Emo...

I Think your idea is good. What I think is amazing is that at 17 you are able to express your feelings in art. It's also amazing that you know that 17 year olds are meladramatic. At that age, I would have fought fiercly saying no I wasn't but that I just felt more than the normal person. lol I think you have a lot of guts going online and posting your work to perfect strangers. It seems your self esteem is in tact and that will help you get through any pain in relationships and not end up like the rose. Does your photo move me? Yes, it hurts me to look at it. It brings back feelings that I would rather not think about. About a time when I was crushed. As for the f word. Well, sometimes it just fits. It's the way your generation expresses yourself so it would be false if you didn't use it. As for the typing. Again, it's a product of your time. The whole piece shows pain felt by a young person. Everything is right in what you're trying to express. Keep working on the execution of it or move on to something else, only when you yourself feel like it's the way you want it. you're the artist.
    Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 10-03-2004 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    Oh god. Don't start feeling sorry for yourself.

Why did you post the image here? What were your reasons? We critique the photo's here. Let's see, I've said it before. The concept is interesting. The execution is not good. Do you want everyone to tell you it's a great image when it's not?

You go ahead and give up. That's just what you should do. Give up because some @sshole on a message board says your photo isn't good at all Damn, instead, use it as motivation to do it better and IMPROVE your expression. Come back and show us something more creative. Something more subtle and not so in your "f'in" face.

I am not an artist. I don't think like a tortured human being. I don't grasp it at all. That's just me.
    He told you to critique the photo, not put him down @sshole.

Read the rules, i'll put them here for you todd.

It seems lately we have had a rash of seemingly rude and inappropriate comments here on the Critique Forum. Comments that are somewhere along the lines of "This image sucks."

I know it is very isolated, but I would like to remind everyone to be fair, constructive, encouraging and at the very least polite.
    To me a critique of a photograph should state as specific as possible reasons as to why the image works or dose not work, whatever the case may be. Comments like the above doing nothing but discourage people from continuing with what they enjoy.

We will probably never reach "icon status" like Ansel Adams or Henri Cartier-Bresson, but we can do our best to encourage others to be the best photographer they can be. There is a lot of knowledge here, let's do what we can to help those that are new and excited about photography. Because chances are, you came here as a newbie and have since progressed as a photographer through the knowledge you have gained.

Look at this image. Look at it for what it is.

1) It is not sharp at all.
    2) The colors are flat
    3) The lighting needs vast improvement
    4) The composition leaves much to be desired.
    5) The "CONCEPT" is interesting but the execution is off.
    6) IT'S NOT DRAMATIC! Not at all. The colors need to be better. Maybe it needs to be black and white? The lighting needs to be better. The only thing that is dramatic is the bogus placement of the word "fuck". Let's face it, using a word such as that means an inability to express yourself. You resort to "shock" as opposed to thoughtful expression.

I stand by my statement about it being sophomoric crap. I know this poster is a beginner, and I can respect that. However, stroking him/her on this image is not going to make her/him any better. It simply is not a good image.
    I personally think that we have to respect Todd's opinion. I know I respect it and I also agree with everything he said, although I would have said the same in a different way.
    I do think the use of the single word "crap" wasn't very tactful and it reminds me of your own words Todd: "You resort to "shock" as opposed to thoughtful expression".

Quote Originally Posted by F-15_Flyer
    He told you to critique the photo, not put him down @sshole.
    And that's a comment that's way out of line. It would be wise to excuse yourself to Todd for this kind of personal attack.

I agree with Elysian and Todd - while the idea behind the photo was interesting, the execution was flawed. I'm a newbie when it comes to photography, but I don't see how todd's comments can be viewed as insulting. If my photos are flawed, I want to know about it, so that I can take steps to fix the flaws - thats how we learn. Hence I believe that F-15_Flyer was out of line.

Regarding the photo, I don't think i can add anything that hasn't been said already - change the lighting, hand-write the note, more accurate focusing, possibly use a shallow depth of field an a low viewing angle to get the rose in focus and blur the writing slightly?
    I think it would look better in color, but keep all the colors muted apart from the blood - that's where you'll get your contrast...

Dave's €0.02

I dont agree with todd putting emo down, maybe its just me, I dont understand how it is just me, but i guess it is, sorry for the comment, I was very upset about this.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F-15_Flyer
    I dont agree with todd putting emo down, maybe its just me, I dont understand how it is just me, but i guess it is, sorry for the comment, I was very upset about this.
    It's not just you that it upset. Believe me.
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Opinionated Newbie

So, where did I put emo down?

I think we should just leave it really. Controversial photo, controversial thread. Game over

Let me point out

That it is not the camera that makes the photo. There are some people who take stunning images with a $20 toy camera.

That in mind...

The concept is interesting. I agree that the execution needs a bit of work, but I am assuming that is why you posted on the critique board. Suggestions have already been made, so I'm not going to repeat them.

I think that the f-word is probably the most over used word in the English language. I think I might find this image more appealing if you found another, more original way to express the emotion.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I don't understand the Oooohing and Ahhhing over this photo.
    I disagree with this approach by Todd as it implies that comments by each individual on this forum doesn't hold equal weight. However, I would allow that all comments may be questioned or argued with - but in a respectful manner.

As for Todd's critique of the photo during his first few posts, I have to agree with his assesment of it's failings. I also agree that the f-word is used in a gratuitous fashion in this case. But that is just my opinion and I already see that others disagree.

I guess what I want to say is that I don't agree with Todd's method but, in a way, I join in his madness.

Can't we all just get along?

Tuna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information