Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Mt. Baker backpacking trip set

Since my job at Glacier National Park ended about two weeks ago, I've come home and have gone on two backpacking trips since then. One was an overnight in the Mt. Baker area, and last week was six days and nights in Olympic NP. This set is from the Baker trip, as I haven't even touched the Olympic photos yet, but they are certain to make a great set, too. These are my few favorite out of the 40+ total good ones from this trip. Same as my last post, I'll number them and all are welcome to let me know the top three or four print choices for some upcoming shows.

Also, of course, give all the critique you want. Keep in mind that I took these "blind". I'm using my old D80 once again, which has a dead rear LCD screen and the autofocus is stuck in the top left and can't be moved... so, it's a fun camera to use in a way, because it forces me to make sure everything is perfect as much as possible since I can't see it until I'm on a computer.

1. Mt. Baker

2. Color!

3. See my tent?

4. Baker with lake.

5. Closer up.

6. More Baker!

7. Mt. Shuksan.

8. Shuksan and trail with color (usually a very hard place to get a photo without a person in it, as it's a very popular spot. This was the first time in all my times there I had that whole 3/4 mile stretch to myself).

Thanks for looking!
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

Re: Mt. Baker backpacking trip set

These are all great!

I prefer #5 to #4.

#1 is spectacular. I was wondering whether there should be more space above the peak, but I'm not sure about that. I'm also thinking there should be more sky in #2.

The images look processed, but in a good way. They almost look Topaz'd or HDR'd or... something. The effect is fantastic - just enough to enhance what's already there.

Thanks! I'll just post a fast reply before I say too much, to let others post more first. I see what you mean about #2, and I forget what the reason was there, but in the last weeks shooting anything to the south (which #2 is looking south) has been a battle with shielding stray sunlight, which several times forced me to pan down slightly farther than I may have preferred otherwise.

As for the effect you mention, to be honest these photos are barely edited. Since I was shooting "blind", I took several exposures of the same scenes and in the end chose the one with the best light, which allowed me to do as little editing as possible. At the very most I did some brightening/darkening, a little saturation and little more contrast (always more contrast than saturation).
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

I really like #1 and #8. The contrast and PP you did was very interesting and made the images pop. I agree with dray, there is a lot of PP, but not too much. #2 and #3 don't do much for me, not hopeless, but I think maybe a different style to them would be better and I agree a little more sky in #2. I think #4 is much better than #5 and #6 is missing the foreground element. I like #7, but I wish the path was moved away from the left side and more to the third area. Overall, great set of images, I would be proud of any of them

These are really stunning. As I'm new here, I will refrain from critique until my post count is up a bit... My favs? #1 and #4 and #8.

These were shot with a D80? Amazing.

I prefer #5 to #4 because the peak is flattened out in the latter, which I don't like as much. I do, however, really like what's going on with the distant peaks in #4. I wish you could combine the two images!

The colors, sharpness, and detail are mindblowing to me. I'm just looking at #6 (a favorite) now... the grass and rocks and trees and even the snow are so crisp.

You make a valid point about #5 dray, I just think the balance is better in #4. I agree, if they could be combined, it would be perfect.

Wonderful series , #6 and #1 are my favorites

to many to offer a critique , #2 maybe the less interesting as it is mostly the bushes with the flowers a bit to far

Thanks for the great comments and critiques all around! As for DurtGurl, feel free to critique any time. Anyone's opinion is completely valid and helpful.

I'll say again that I honestly didn't post process these very much at all. I only ever add saturation when I need to compensate for adding brightness, and on this whole set I added less contrast than normal I feel. Most of these photos were taken looking southward, or into the sun. I was shielding the sun with my hand for most shots, and some shots I had to crop a little bit, or clone the top corner where my hand got in the shot. Shooting into the sun with plants (highly back-lit) makes them very vibrant as opposed to flat light. Simply looking into the sun and away from the sun when standing on a trail presents a huge difference in the color intensity.

Next, I'll explain the reason why 4 and 5 look different. Maybe you already figured it out, but 4 is actually the most realistic shot, and 5 is more distorted. For that reason, I personally like 4 better. That shot was taken around 10mm and the mountain was more centered in the frame, while 5 was taken around 20mm and the mountain more in the top corner, which always distorts more. I had this in mind when taking these shots, and kept away from angles that distorted too much.

I agree 2 is somewhat plain but awesome for color and detail, which is why I took it, probably. I have a few like it with a lot more sky, but a bit less color, so chose that one to share here.

As for the overall crispness, these little ones online look blurred compared to the big ones. Those are sharp! I would expect no less from a $450 lens, anyway...

Great set! Makes me want to do some skiing! Or at least a little more backpacking before it's over for the season.
    Thanks for sharing that. I especially like 1,3,5, and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    These are really stunning. As I'm new here, I will refrain from critique until my post count is up a bit... My favs? #1 and #4 and #8.
    Please don't refrain from commenting! Everyone's opinion is valid and important. And everyone can learn something from your analysis and critique - especially you!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information