Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Opinionated Newbie

Morning frost on fall leaves.

This is not usually my thing. However, I'm always up for trying new subjects. This morning I took a few shots of the frost collecting on the leaves and flowers. I used my zoom lense. I suspect that it would have been better with a macro and a tripod.

Info:

Nikon D70
    70 - 300mm Nikor
    F5
    1/60

Any suggestions, ideas or general feedback. Shoot, call it crap if it is

Re: Morning frost on fall leaves.

I like the second one better - I think the large lower/background leaf needs to be sharper OR more out of focus for it work better.

Still, nice colors/contrast and overall background as is.

The first picture may benefit from a vertical crop. The horizontal crop, in my opinion, makes it a bit static compositionally.

Tuna

mjm
    that guy.

Frost in October?!? It's still shorts weather in San Diego

Tuna wrote exactly what I was thinking, I prefer the 2nd shot but the larger leaf looks a little out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    This is not usually my thing. However, I'm always up for trying new subjects. This morning I took a few shots of the frost collecting on the leaves and flowers. I used my zoom lense. I suspect that it would have been better with a macro and a tripod.

Info:

Nikon D70
    70 - 300mm Nikor
    F5
    1/60

Any suggestions, ideas or general feedback. Shoot, call it crap if it is
    Nice work here Todd.
    I, too, really like the second shot and agree that the oof large leaf detracts a bit. I think this vertical crop minimizes that distraction but results in less of the dark counterpoint to the strong color and a loss of that sweeping curve in the composition as well.

When shooting leaves keep in mind that they can point and might lead the eye right out of the frame which might happen here if that large leaf were in focus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Morning frost on fall leaves.-001.jpg  

Opinionated Newbie

This is why I love it here!

I completely agree about the large leaf on the bottom. I had not even given it a second thought at the time. Next time, I pick it Another thing I would have liked to do is to have waited until the sun came around a shined directly on the leaf. It would have been a split second shot in any regard as the sun makes this frost go quickly.

The first one I liek simply because the colors are warm and muted. I agree that a portrait crop may have been better.

I have another that I attempted. A shot of the morning moon, cotrasted with bright yellow leaves in the foreground. However, I did not close down enough and the DOF is too shallow. Infinity vs. 20 ft is tough to work anyway It did look cool converted to B&W however.

I think I am going to play with this sort of this again this weekend. Time is short and the attractive leaves are falling quickly!

mjm
    that guy.

Can you get a really tight macro shot of the corner of the leaf? I am interested in seeing what that would look like.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Todd,

Your second shot is great. I like it! The colors are so warm, and yet the frost cannot be mistaken from what it is: cold!

It is a pity that the DOF was not deep enough to have the third leaf into focus though. The shot might also be a tad overexposed. The highlights (i.e. frost ) are a bit burned on my screen. But we are talking only about -1/3 or -1/2 EV max.

Cheers,

Steph.

Opinionated Newbie

Only if you send me a macro lense

Thread Information