Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Luminous leaves

Seb

Luminous leaves

Looking at my backyard this morning I have tought that it might worth to try to capture lilac buds before they blossom. While the buds turned not to be really interesting by themselves, I was interested by the result I have achieved with simple leaves. The shot is truly simplistic but I think that it work by itself.

Comments are welcome.

28mm 1/250 sec f/8 ISO 200

The first is significantly cropped and downsized. The second is an even more cropped section of the same picture at it's full size.

(I'll be posting a daisy shot taken 2 weeks ago on the viewfinder, the picture by itself is dreary but I think that the sharpness is remarkable).

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

I like the top shot (less cropped version) best. It offers nice lighting, texture of the leaves, and the various tones of green. Especially like how the light almost enables one to see inside the leaf. Only nitpik is a bit less dof. I think you used f8 to ensure maximum sharpness, but I think would have been just as sharp at 5.6 or evn 4 with that wide angle and might have blurred out the bg a bit more.I know it is blurred, but I'm talking about not even being able to tell that there is a house behind this shot. But nice the way it is
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb
    Thanks a lot Gary.

The background is indeed distracting. I'll work on that the next time.
    (The relatively small aperture was used on purpose to maximize sharpness as you suposed).

Regards

Seb

Hi Seb,
    The colour of the leaves is saturated snf pleasant. Fine details such as fluffy hairs and veins can be seen with backlight but the object on the left of the second photo is a bit distracting, If that can be removed, the photo should be better .
    All the best.
    yoyo

Seb
    Hey Yoyo,

On the second one, I was stuck wondering if I should keep the entire left leave (and thus including some buds that you see on the extreme left of the frame) or cuting the leave to avoid the buds. I didn't wanted to chop the leave but I realize that the buds are quite distracting here as you pointed out.

thanks for commenting.

Seb

Thread Information