Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Librarian look

Librarian look

Which do you guys prefer, tight or wide?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Librarian look-andrea7802_800px.jpg   Librarian look-andrea7803_800px.jpg  

Re: Librarian look

Can I have both of them?
    Now..seriously I prefer the pose on the second one ITS A CLASSIC! Hot girl with glasses in that position makes me think of any boy`s dream about the hot teacher LOL! Reminds me of David Lee Roth or Aerosmith old videos with hot nurses and naughty teachers PMSL.
    Love the soft shadow on her right eye, the sexy mouth and naughty eyebrow....Its hard to think of any photographic terms at this point....sorry

On the first pic its lacks all those details I particularly like, plus the hair is much better on the second also.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

The close up shot leads one's mind to use too much imagination, the second wider shot leaves less to the imagination as what the whole of her is like.Both are well done shots.
    Jimmy B

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like the first. It doesn't make me wonder what happened to her elbow.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I also like the first one better and agree with frog about the elbow, also I love her eyes and they are emphasized in the first one.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

I like the tighter angle. The wider angle seems to be incomplete somehow, it could be the lost hip. I do like the lighting on both though.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

I like the second one , the expression make the photo

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Wide, but please don't cut her elbow off!
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I agree the first one is the best, other than the elbow missing in the fist her other arm appears to be in an awkward position.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I like her eyes the best on the first, more relaxed. Not really digging the backdrop though, might have been better with a bookcase behind her to finish that librarian look. Her hair is a bit frizzy too and could use some cleanup. Her necklace also could be centered.

i like her mouth and eyes better in the first one. I don't care much for the raised eyebrow along with the wrinkles in the forehead that this causes. My vote goes to the top or first one, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GB1

Jet - I think there's potential here but I also think the shot looks a little ad hoc, like she should have settled down a bit before you two took the shot. I wish her eye wasn't open as wide as it was. On the positive side, I like her pose and hair. The elbow doesn't bother me any.

Here's a creative endeavor Could be better esp on her left shoulder, but you get the idea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Librarian look-lib_gb.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Wow, thanks for all the input. The "model" is actually a singer from El Salvador, Andrea Cardenal. These shots were taken on the spur of the moment while doing some more formal promotional head shots. They were not pre-planned, but the reason I posted them here is because I really like the tight crop and lighting on the first, but prefer the smile and raised eyebrow in the second. As far as composition of the second, her left elbow angle is troubling me, the right one being chopped is unimportant (what was important to me was the inclusion of the bracelet). Everyone that mentioned the hair in the first shot were correct, cleaning up hair is a tedious time consuming process that I chose not to undertake until I had decided which one I'd end up using. I do REALLY like GB's edit with the bookcase background (wondering if it was done with FluidMask...)

I very much appreciate everyone's input! I'll see what I can come up with...

Re: Librarian look - take 2

Alright, what does everyone think of this? What else does it need yet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Librarian look-librarian2.jpg  

The book shelf does a ton for this shot, definitely like better with the books.

I like it. Her expression with the cocked eyebrow is far more interesting, I think. My two nitpicks are that her hand and inside wrist seem a little pink compared to the golden tan she is sporting everywhere else -- and the necklace is just a tad too close to the frame. Her eyes really draw you into the photo.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

IMHO this is the shot and crop, the eyes are ..... um..... captivating.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Quote Originally Posted by Shebang
    My two nitpicks are that her hand and inside wrist seem a little pink compared to the golden tan she is sporting everywhere else -- and the necklace is just a tad too close to the frame.
    Both good points. The hand was lighter due to being closer to a 3'x5' softbox just outside the right of the frame, so it got a bit washed out. Adjusted the necklace, but not entirely sure I'm happy with it - it reminds me of a somewhat vulgar decoration usually seen swinging below the rear bumper of redneck pick-up trucks, on the other hand...I guess that does work on some level :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Librarian look-librarian2x.jpg  

These are both pretty good, Jet. I think I prefer the loose crop because the expression is more playful and relaxed while the other looks a bit more posed. Also, the thing bothering me about the tighter version is the arm. there is a funny angle going on there as Greg pointed out but also it seems to be very washed out or over exposed somehow.
    both look best with the books in the background.
    I'm for the loose crop and the books.

BTW, the tighter crop version in your last edit look better than previously. the arm seems to have been brought back to proper exposure and looks much better.

Still, I just like the playful expression of the loose crop.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Ah! Interesting!
    The new background does improve no doubt. And the new crop...mmm...I`m going to object..if that is possible. The new crop solves the chopped elbow (which was no big deal for me) do to the fact that the eye was the point of attention.
    This new crop is the clear winner but....for me it would look better if I could see her shoulders...I find it a bit too tight.
    Great shot no doubt Jet!

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Rob, not a new crop this is the eyes off the second shot pasted into the first shot and the edges of the lips warped up in a similar manner to the wider version (also cleaned the stray hair, moved the necklace-twice, and gave the arm a sun tan).

Here's the wide crop w/ a different book case:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Librarian look-librarian1.jpg  

Awesome Jet! Your PP abilities never fail to amaze me
    My poor photographic judgment has been compromised with the modelīs looks LOL!
    That last one is Sweet! and the new background suits even better :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

That last edit looks just right. Should be the keeper.
    Well done
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Okay, the necklace didn't add anything -- but it didn' take anything away either -- until your swinging under the hitch comment -- now, I HATE the necklace.

What if you kept the top gem and PP out the lower swinging stuff? Either way, this last edit is the best!! -- and the necklace as it is really is okay.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    .. I do REALLY like GB's edit with the bookcase background (wondering if it was done with FluidMask...)
    You know it! I didn't get it totally right and it appears that your masking worked out better -- what did you use? Your final post seems to be the best.

g
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information