Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: landscape help

landscape help

I don't really know anything about landscape photography (and haven't really spent any time looking at it) but I was out shooting this past weekend and decided to snap a quick shot of some of the scenery. Any suggestions about how to improve this shot (at the picture taking step, not necessarily in post processing) would be greatly appreciated. Basically I am looking for some basic tips on how to do a landscape shot of something like this scene.

Camera: Canon EOS Rebel XT
    Lens: EF-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 18mm
    Aperture: f/8
    ISO: 400
    Shutter speed = 1/100 sec

I was not really prepared for this shot when I set out so didn't have my tripod handy so this one was hand-held I am guessing a tripod might have allowed for a bit more detail to have been captured.

I tried to focus on the middle tree to get as much of the scene in focus as possible and I tried to meter partially off the sky and partially from the trees so I did not blow the sky out or lose all detail of the trees in the shadows.

Any compositional suggestions on how to make this a stronger picture would be great too. I was thinking of something like a guy out in a boat fishing or something would be nice but probably wouldn't be practical and might be a bit too cliche though this picture might already be too cliche.

Thanks,

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails landscape help-00lmvert.jpg  

Re: landscape help

A very nice shot, You sure you're just getting started?

If you could move back a bit or zoom out to include the top of the tree on the right it would be a bit stronger, IMHO. I like the subtle color and sky detail and the placement of stuff with in the composition is fine.
    ----------------------------

Thread Information