Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: kissing camels

Smile kissing camels

This is a picture I took in a park called Garden of the Gods. This ended up being the only picture of the formation and the mountain that turned out right. Im going to retry the shot again this weekend and get the rock formation larger and less of the sky and ground.

Hope everyone enjoys it.

Army
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kissing camels-7.jpg  

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: kissing camels

I think you have a wise plan.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

GB1

AW - Good scenery. I personally am not sure that you really have the rocks too small in the frame here, as the supporting cast of characters - bushes, grass, mountains - are all interesting. The one thing that bugs me though are those branches in the way in the foreground - arrg. Also, try using a tripod even if you don't think you need it. The pix will come out sharper in the end. The sky is awfully blue here - pow. I wonder if you have the in-camera color space set to some enhanced setting?

Gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Perhaps get in front of that dead bush?
    I agree with GB on the sky. Did you use a polarizer?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

I wanted to get infront of the bush except for the 50ft cliff that was already infront of it. And no I didnt tweek the colors of the sky, they really are that blue out here,,,at 8 in the morning. Ive learned not to leave the house without the camera epuiment in the trunk of my car and that now includes my tripod and sun shades for the lenses. Whats a polarizer?
    Army

MB1

Well ya, but.......

Quote Originally Posted by armywife1984
    I wanted to get infront of the bush except for the 50ft cliff that was already infront of it........
    Sacrifices have to be made......

Really, I think you have a fine ratio of rock, foreground and mountains but I agree there is a bit too much sky as there isn't much interesting going on in the sky. If there were some great cloud formations that would be something else entirely-but then so would the resulting image.
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

AW - it's hard to describe what a polarizer is exactly, but it's a filter that many landscape photographer's use to 1) make the colors more saturated esp blue skies and 2) reduce or remove reflections in windows, water, and other stuff. You rotate them to increase or decrease the polarization effect. They increases the richness of your image and perhaps the contrast too (sometimes), but also make the images look different - usually for the better, but not always - they can make some shots look unreal, esp shots of people. Also note that they block a significant amount of light - you will lose between ~ 0.5 to 2 f-stops of light. Almost all landscape photographers carry one with them.. They're the # 1 most popular filter.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you have some polarized sun glasses look at a cloudy sky with them on and with them off and you'll see the effect.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

a polarizer technically only allows light moving in a set direction past it. which cuts down on glare ( looking in to water, off glass, etc) and also is why you lose f stops. however the added effect of deep blue sky and a few other benefts offten outweight the negatives.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Since I do so many landscape shots here in Colorado I am definatly goint to have to check up on getting a polarizer and defintly have to play with it. As always thanks for answering all the questions I have. Im sure ill have more questions everytime i post somthing.
    Army

wannabe

Also prob crop out the rock on the left. its a little distracting to me
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Heres the same picture croped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kissing camels-8.jpg  

MB1

That crop does a good job of making the rock formation in the middle the focal point of the image. The tree in the center foreground is still a bit on a issue but short of going out there with a chainsaw I don't know what you could do about it.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Yea the chainsaw idea makes me giggle a lil but technical very illegal since its a national park. but maybe this weekend if the weather is good ill try this shot again from a differnt angle or if nothing else stand on top of my car.
    Army

Thread Information