Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a girl

just a girl

Played around with some special finishes on these two portraits of my daughter...

the first is obvious what I did ( I still need to work on it...I'm not sure about the softness around her)

and the second I desaturated and cropped...

the third was converted to BW and I thought might be a good way to do a "portrait without the traditional kids face in shot approach...maybe using a child's body part and an activity or toy they like something that's special and known only to the parent and kid(I don't know some ideas)

the fourth is a friend's son---using diffuse glow with added grain

Seeing as this is the field I plan to make a career (children's portraiture) please feel free to critique and suggest improvements Thanks in advanced...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by natatbeach; 05-20-2004 at 07:29 PM. Reason: took out sad boy shot---sorry Brian I agree...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Fun!

With the exception of the last one, they are all fun images Nat. The last one just seems sad or something.
    You are good at this! Looks like you are getting used to that AWESOME new camera!
    Keep it up!!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Hey Natalie,
    I like all of these and have nothing to tell you about doing anything differently. All good. You have a way with shooting people and kids and it makes sense that you should want to make this your livelyhood. Your daughter makes a wonderful subject and in turn makes your job easier. But you will have inevitably parents bringing their children who may not be such easy subjects, but I am confident that you will be up to the task as your creativity will find the way. Good stuff
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Love that last one

And I love the idea behind it too.

The only think I would suggest about the first two is perhaps a reflector or something, to give you some catchlights.

Very cute

adina

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    And I love the idea behind it too.

The only think I would suggest about the first two is perhaps a reflector or something, to give you some catchlights.

Very cute

adina
    One more thing. On the second, with the b&w background, have you tried desaturating the color section? Almost to b&w, with just a hint of color?

adina

It's hurricane season... again...

"just a girl"

Nothing like a little Gwen Stefani playing in my head. ;)

I love these shots Natalie, you have a real gift with children's photos! I like the way you left your daughter colorized in the second photo... she really stands out that way. Keep posting these cuties!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

#1 don't like the white post, don't like top of her head cut off and the colors are off.
    I get the impression that you made a failed (in my opinion) attempt to correct a mistake (distracting element in background) by a narrow crop.
    #2 again, head cut off. Images like these are a lot more interesting if you shoot at the
    same level as the child. Image needs a crop on the left; places face more stronger in the composition and removes distracting element. Colors are off.
    #3 Image lacks sharpness, part of shorts is distracting. Not a bad shot, but not more than that.

Thanks for sharing

Joe,

You need to make a distinction between what you like and between what works. The fact that you don't like the cut off head doesn't change the fact that it adds to the image by creating a more in-your-face composition. "Like" has nothing to do with it, and should not be taken into account. The white post is distracting, and takes away from the subject, but once again, whether you "like" it or not is irrelevent.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    You need to make a distinction between what you like and between what works.
    What kind of nonsense is that Sebastian?
    What I like is none of your concerns!
    Lots of people use the words "I like", "I prefer", "It's my opinion", etc, read the other posts.
    If you're bored at the moment, fine, but don't go to a board and tell people what they should like or not, because that's just rediculous for words!

A critique of an image should be seperate from your personal aesthetic. That's all I was trying to say. As soon as you start putting in your own likes or dislikes, you're no longer telling someone what add or detracts from they may or may not been trying to achieve, but instead are telling them to do soemthing your way, to make an image you would have. That's not a critique.

It's a fine line to walk, but I do feel it's important that we try to seperate our likes and dislikes from the way we look at something, and most people here on the board seem to do a fine job at that. And when they use the terms, they seem to use them in the context of the image, whether they like or dislike how elements of the composition work, or don't, for the sake of what the creator seemingly was trying to achieve.

I don't think it's nonsense at all, and telling me that it is because others use the words is a pathetic argument, at best. What you like is non of my concern, but what does that have to do with this? I was suggesting you take a different approach at critique, not telling you that you shouldn't like something. I don't think my post suggests that at all.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

for what it's worth

I love chopped heads. Sometimes I need to make a consious effort to have a full head. I think chopped heads draw more attention to the face.

But that's just what I like Some people are full head people, others are head choppers.

adina

#1 I agree about the white post, except the neighbors would be a bit pissed off if I took it down and collapsed their second story porch just for a shot and it was very unplanned shot (my daughter RARELY poses for shots) I agree the colors are off--- I manipulated them to my liking...the original were too normal and not the look I wanted.... No FAILED attempts here---I shot it at the top EXACTLY as I wanted it cropped and left space on the bottom and sides to crop even tighter...I have often been accused of cropping too tight but sadly that's the look I prefer.
    #2 I agree....but no amount of color correction or angle will replace that face...I asked for advice and critiques and I got it....so for that I thank you ---it helps me to get used to the fact that not everyone will like my approach, color choices, or angles...

I look forward to having you share your take on my shots as I post---I always learn something from every post...Thanks again
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    You need to make a distinction between what you like and between what works. The fact that you don't like the cut off head doesn't change the fact that it adds to the image by creating a more in-your-face composition.
    That's your opinion. There is NO golden book of rules for photography, that's what I'm trying to tell, but you're too stubborn (sorry) to understand this.
    I know people who dislike horizons that are not straight (with a few exceptions of course), At the same time there are good photographers who ignore this all the time; http://www.azfoto.com/
    You give everybody the impression that I said "one should NEVER chop a head". That's not what I said; I said I didn't like it in this image, because it doesn't add anything substantial.
    Show me the rule in that magic golden book that says that I'm wrong and that therefore my words are nothing but an opinion. That I don't like something doesn't mean that I don't have any reasoning behind it. It's totally wrong of you to consider the word "like" just an opinion based on… well…. nothing. You could have taken the time to ask me why I didn't like it, but that was too much to ask or not?!

Btw, I've chopped many heads in photographs, nothing wrong with it (just for clarity), , but I didn't see any reason why it should be done is this particular image. In this image I consider it an attempt to save a rather good image that had a distracting element. If you look carefully you can even see parts of it in the upper right corner.

Oh well, personally I have the feeling that I’m talking to a wall with you Sebastian, so I guess my discussion stops here.

since you seem to be the only one possibly left to actually help here... what do you think better... i tried to add catchlight but now she looks like an alien...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

thnaks for the encouragement...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

parents

Definitely have a way they "see" their kids and it'll just be my job to try to see it thru their eyes.... I am a people person by nature and it's not hard to get a feel for people. It only takes about an hour sometimes...weird but true (for me at least) wish I had a dime for every person that's ever said " How do you kno wthat about me with out knowing me so well?" hated being that person...made me feel like a freak---but for now and this line of work it it fits...thanks as always for taking the time to tell me what you think and what you like and dislike...it helps...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Is this any better?
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

hmmm.. I don't understand what you did with the first picture...where you going for a sepia tone feel? I love the actual picture though, and the white post add a lot to the picture, because it makes me feel like she is playing "peek-a-boo". As for the second, when I did this effect before, I found that making the contrast stand out even more between the BW background and the main subject works even better. I like Adina's suggestion, and I would say, since the hard work in Photoshop is done anyway isolating the subject, try it once more, make the pink dress really stand out. It would look like some of the ads on TV (you will notice most of them would have the main subject being Yellow or Red).
    Opinions I got lots, expertise none!! Hmm… except for giving opinions!!

Just a quick take

This would be how I would color this, if I was shooting/coloring. But it looks really nice just in b/w also.

Personal preference for me, the coloring is really soft/pale, whatever you want to call it. Bright selective coloring can have a very ps'd look.

hope you don't mind my playing, I thought it'd be easier to show you what I was refering to then to try and type it.

adina
    Last edited by adina; 04-04-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Love the coloring in this version. Desaturated some? The first version was nice too. As far as the catchlights, I think probably chalk it up to something to remember for next time.

One of the most important things (in my opinion) in child photography is expression. Mom isn't going to care if there's a bit of white post in the background if her child has that certain expression that mom knows so well, and is part of that child's personality. This doesn't mean don't try to get the best technical pic you can, but expressions mean so much more to the parents.

I've started shooting children occasionally, and everytime there's a shot that I think won't work, and set it aside, but end up coming back to it because of the look on the face, just about everytime that's the one mom loves the most. The one where she can actually see her child, not just what they look like.

adina

Natalie,
    The desaturation it seems that you did in the last post really works nice. I like it alot.
    Adina, those sound like some good words of wisdom on child photos and parents.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Forgive me if I repeat what has already been said, but I didn't read all the posts. I think your daughter is photogenic, but the first two photos seem mundane to me. In evaluating them as "professional" shots, I'd say the photoshopping isn't up to professional levels (a few missed and blurry spots) and the lighting could be better (she needs some fill flash in her eyes. )

I think the feet shot is a great idea, but not quite executed perfectly (too much clutter).

I hope you take my honest critique in the spirit in which it is intended. You probably realize from prior comments I've made that I like your work and admire your creativity.

ahhhh I see

me likie... thanks adina...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

me neither

just kidding--- I was trying for an older aged look-- like those overcome by acidic conditions photos you had from the 70's that had a washed out yellowy feel to them...(I know I'm weird!)

I think its the post behind her head that everyone's talking about...

Thanks for your input I'll try out some more stuff after my husband reloads everything back unto our computer....

thnaks for your input
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

thnaks to you both

agree with what you said adina---I tend to be neurotic (who me) aand I want EVERYTHING to be good...but I'm learning something like an expression see LAvaLamps post well surpasses technicalities. although keeping those things in mind makes for a better shot ---with kids --it can get pretty unpredicatble

and ditto what ghapsidy said
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information