Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

I tried some B/W, tell me what you think...

I went for a walk today with my son, and was just playing around with the camera, an something told me to try this, I think they turned out reasonably well for my first try at B/W, the first is my favorite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I tried some B/W, tell me what you think...-elevator-web-1.jpg   I tried some B/W, tell me what you think...-elevator-web-2.jpg   I tried some B/W, tell me what you think...-elevator-web-3.jpg  
    Dive naked things look bigger underwater!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoDive30
    I went for a walk today with my son, and was just playing around with the camera, an something told me to try this, I think they turned out reasonably well for my first try at B/W, the first is my favorite.
    They are nice shots that capture the mass and height of the silos well. I like where the white clouds surround the building. I think you could mess with the luminosty histogram to brighten the clouds and boost the contrast in the third one.
    What do you think of the effect of straightening the shot?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I tried some B/W, tell me what you think...-silos.jpg  

I tried to get them strait, they just didn't look quite right to me, I think the angle adds something, but it could just be me.

I tried to get them strait, they just didn't look quite right to me, I think the angle adds something, but it could just be me.
    No, it's not just you, it does add something in my opinion, in this example height and/or anxiety. Like in the other shot with "evil comes our way", you try to put your ideas into an image or you try to express something. I like that, it's a really good choice of you to go for this kind of approach in most images, definitely a "keeper" and makes an image really a lot more interesting when well executed.

I think all images have a strong/good composition. The only thing that slightly distracted me was the bright cloud in image #2. Also in this image you gave didn't reserve enough space for the sky to play a more important role in making this image stronger.
    Image #1 works best for me and that's partly because of the slightly more contrast.

Well done GoDive30, keep those B&W images coming our way.

Seb

Hello Heath,

I like them all, my favorite one being the first. I think that I would have included more of the surrounding area in the pictures but I may be just wrong. Either way these are interesting the way they are.

Say, I am just curious, what and where are those buildings? I am somewhat surprised because we have some building extremely similar to that in Montreal.

regards

Seb

Seb, we have grain elevators in just about every little town in IL, they are a very common sight, they all vary a little, but the all serve the same purpose, grain storage.

Thread Information