Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

A hike in the woods

Do these images do anything for anyone? I took these this afternoon on a short hike thru Govenor Dodge State Park. I was half way thru the hike when I realized that my WB was still set on tungsten from my lighting experiment last week... That is why I desaturated the two pics of the spring house. That was a good lesson learned... ALWAYS check your settings before you start shooting....

As always, any and all comments are welcome!
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A hike in the woods-spring-house1.jpg   A hike in the woods-spring-house2.jpg   A hike in the woods-stream.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: A hike in the woods

I like the middle and bottom shot, but feel they have the potential to be alot more than they are now. I like the middle shot and the b&w conversion is a good move. The doorway of the mine shaft or remaining piece of structure that once existed is an interesting subject, but I feel it is just missing sometrhing like another element of interest such as a large rock, tree, or person or animal. I like the desolate feeling of these.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I like the middle and bottom shot, but feel they have the potential to be alot more than they are now. I like the middle shot and the b&w conversion is a good move. The doorway of the mine shaft or remaining piece of structure that once existed is an interesting subject, but I feel it is just missing sometrhing like another element of interest such as a large rock, tree, or person or animal. I like the desolate feeling of these.

Thanks for the input Gary! I kinda feel the same way about these. I like them, but there seems to be something missing and they just don't seem to "pop" for me. The structure is actually a spring house. What you see is about all there is to it. It's just a small room made out of rock with a spring coming up thru the floor inside that keeps this little room cool. It was once used as a "refrigerator" for a farm that use to be here a long time ago. Just a little bit of history for ya.

Thanks again.
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I think the subject is interesting enough to get some nice images from. I agree that the BW conversion works for these images. Maybe if you close in more on the subject and try some different angles (get on your knees for a low position) this may work out better. I would be interested to see how this works.
    Cheers,
    Frank

I like the middle Image, there is somthing about the "shape" of the foot bridge that draws me tolook at it everytime I look at the photo. Nice Picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hightree
    I think the subject is interesting enough to get some nice images from. I agree that the BW conversion works for these images. Maybe if you close in more on the subject and try some different angles (get on your knees for a low position) this may work out better. I would be interested to see how this works.
    Cheers,
    Frank

Thanks for the comments Frank. I was planning on going back there and trying it again, after work this afternoon, but it looks like it's going to be raining here...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information