Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Hanging Lamps

Hanging Lamps

Leica IIIc

Re: Hanging Lamps

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna

Leica IIIc
    Tuna,

I love the mood of this one and I love the B&W. I have to be honest though and say I have a hard time figuring out what the subject of this photo should be. My eye keeps popping to the window and then getting distracted by the lamps. The lamps seem kind of oddly placed in the photo. The window itself is really interesting with its dirty panes and the city view beyond. The lamps are also interesting but not interesting enough to really hold my attention. Maybe if the window was less prominent and there was more brickwork underneath to draw attention to the lamps - lamps in upper 1/3 of pic?. Thanks for the interesting pic!

2k2s

What a great picture Tuna. A very 'random' feel. Though I agree about the subject is hard to determine, I think taht's why this picture intrigues me so. I love the shot out the window, very nice. Excellent shot and great photography,

Jared

Seb

Tuna, your composition is unusual (which is great) and I too find that the lamps are somewhat oddly placed but they doesn't distract me. They hold some of my interest due to the way light reflect on them but I mostly perceive these lamps as a frame for the main subject that is the window.

Interesting work and the softness is right on in this situation.

Seb

The odly placed lamps add to the intrigue and originality of this image to my mind. The half window similarily and outside the "other world". Lighting, which cannot have been easy, is great especially around the inner reveals of the window and on the lamp shades themselves.The right hand lamp looks as if it is on from the top but it obviously is not; maybe it's just the way the outside light caught it or you did some trickery. Did you take any more Tuna? I would like to see one with the whole window to compare but to do so you may not get the lamp position as we have here.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

This is an interesting composition, I find that I like it. In my opinion, it does not lack a subject per say as I find the gritty feel and atmosphere going on is the subject. The soft natural lighting and dirty windows, and glimpse of the buildings outside create a mood that is entertaining. good image
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hi Tuna,
    This is an interesting shot but I cannot find a vantage point. Otherwise, the pic provides good contrast of light and reinforcement of different simple geometric shapes. I just wonder why the lamps were so low.
    All the best.
    yoyo

Here's Tuna, Inside looking out... no wonder Gary like it. I like it too for many of the reasons already stated by others. I'm really glad that the window is not geometrically centered.
    A photo does not need to have only one center of attention. Many strong shots are successful because of the tension between two (or more) subjects that keep grabbing our eye. 2k2s, you do a good job of describing it but seem to be frustrated by it rather than enjoy it.
    Nice work Tuna.

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Beautiful photo...I love how this has a very early industrial feel to it. The composition is nicely done and I like how my eyes bounce back and forth from the window to the lamps.
    The lighting from the window also create a nice reflection on the lamps that kinda keeps the two subjects tied together. Very good contrast also.
    Sorry to say, but I can not find anything I don't like about this.
    Cheers.

ARP
    Arie Rotshtein Photography

Me too, agree with 2k2s, I like the mood and the b&w as well.

Very nice image ;)

AR

Thanks to all for your comments and critique.

Tom, both windows lit by the natural light through the window - no trickery... This light and it's results are one of the things that attracted me to this scene.

Tuna

Tuna,
    I really like the abstractness of this shot. The dirty panes and contrast in that area are fantastic!
    My only nitpick is that it is so incredibly balanced with two of those lamps.. I'd hack off (uh, I mean crop) the left side of the photo (only because I prefer the light on the wall and lamp on the right moreso than the left).
    But that's just me. I like odd scenes and crops.
    Rebekah
    VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Tuna,

Been meaning to comment on this for a little while. I like it. Edgy. Dirty. Gritty. The window part almost looks to me as if I'm viewing a movie thru it, or looking at a picture that has been taped to the backside of it. Very cool effect.

Overall, the kind of image I like!

Keep it up...

-Stew

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Very nice, some lovely subtle touches.
    I like the right hand lamp on, the left hand off.
    The dirty glass and window frame.
    The tension between the lamps and the window, there's possibly 3 or 4 subjects.
    Grainy, gritty feel to it too.
    I'd expect to see this in a book someday.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thank you for your responses. I'm happy for the positive responses as well as for the critique. It is appreciated.

Tuna

Thread Information