Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    MB1

Frozen Potomac #3

At the very south end of East Potomac Park is Hains Point. The place is almost at water level and it doesn't take much of a high tide to flood it.

Surrounded by water and right across the river from the airport the place always has an "End of the World" feel to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frozen Potomac #3-frozen-potomac-3.jpg  
    No, I DON'T need that.

Re: Frozen Potomac #3

I love the color and lines. Great job!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Really nice!

Again - HDR?

MB1

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    Really nice!

Again - HDR?
    Again-2 Stop Graduated Neutral Density filter. Once you know it is there it is easy to spot the transition from light to dark if you follow the railing from left to right. Most of these pics you can't see any transition at all but the railing goes from the bottom of the frame to way past where I placed the filter.

Still, I like the look and if I don't say anything most folks don't notice the transition of the railing.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thanks for the info.

I do see it now, about halfway up, but didn't notice it until you said something! Used to great effect here and in the other shots.

The colors in this one are particularly nice. Love the grass in the foreground, too.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Great capture and composition, love the colors. S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

GB1

MB - I looked at all three frozen images and think that they all have potential, but that they all have 'things' in them that degrade the scenes' photographic quality. The one along the water for example has that old ugly log that sort of diminishes the aesthetics. This image is the best IMO, but the grass growing out between the cracked pavement needs to go - perhaps it would be OK to PS it out in this situation. It would be more abstract and simplistic like that.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Nice work MB, I like the wide angle.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

MB,
    I like the composition but have two issues with the photo:

I was about to comment on the darkness creeping into the top of the barrier then I read the post on ND grad's. I Got some for Christmas but up until now never used them. Not sure I like the effect in this photo.

The other thing that catches my eye is the bright spot on the right in the orange part of the sky. perhaps a quick clone job?

What is GB talking about three images and the one with the log. I only see one.

Regards
    Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

GB - just found the others.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

MB1
    Love the sky and the lines of the image. but have to agree for me anyways the cement and especially the weeds are not working for me in this image. But I also understand your feeling of What you see is what you get.
    Side note did you get your uw 14mm prime?

Ray Still

Thread Information