Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frosty Morn at Bear Lake, Utah

I just got back from a business trip to Plymouth, Utah and I was able to spend one day in the mountains with a camera in hand. This shot was taken at Bear Lake. As you might guess, the sun wasn’t cooperating. Please critique. Thanks!

Dudley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frosty Morn at Bear Lake, Utah-dsc06742a-bear-lake-web.jpg  

Ghost

Re: Frosty Morn at Bear Lake, Utah

Stunning! was my first reaction to this one. So beautiful.

I don't dare say anything negative about this photo just because I like it so much. There's a great depth to it (3D feel) that is translating well here. The crisp white ice compared with the darker background.....love it.

Possibly crop a little off the top and a little off the bottom. Or just crop some from the top (I'm undecided and would probably like all versions). I just think there's a little too much sky on this one.

I think the lighting cooperated just fine. It can always be better, but you did an awesome job here.

The scene in this shot is quite breathtaking. I find it quite soothing to look at it and you mentioned that the sun wasn't coopertaing but I don't see a problem here. Great shot. You have any others ? I'd love to see them.
    ~Nina~

Thanks for the comments Trevor. I am truly grateful for the chance to spend some time there. We don’t have mountain like that around here. As for as cropping, this shot is cropped some as is and I do agree that some more should come off the top.

Hello Nina, thanks for taking time to comment. I do have others. I’ll get a couple ready soon. Thanks!

Dudley

Great shot Dudley. The bright white foreground is definately working for this photo! Great composition and great shot!

Jared

great job dudley. I love this photo. The mood & tones are great!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

I started going on about the wow-factor - WOW FACTOR!!!!!

Can't critique it is tooooo beautiful - breathtaking, puuurrrrfect!!!

Great photo

PS can I use it as a background for my computer please?
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Dudley,
    I would have to agree with everyone else! Beautiful picture. I think the lighting is perfect.
    I would definately have it on the wall.

Scott

It is such a beautiful scene, almost sureal, the white foreground jumps out at you, and the mountain background seems so dreamy. very well done

Well I think this is outstanding. A little black line border would suit so as we can see exactly where the snow at the bottom ends. This is not a criticism. I would not put this on my computer Roger, but blow it uo to full size, frame it and put it on the wall of my best room.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I wouldn't want that white foreground cropped, but it could perhaps stand to lose a little more off the top.
    Yes, this has an immediate great impact.
    I feel cold already.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Gorgeous shot.. as it loaded on my other monitor I glanced and for a brief second thought it was an IR film shot.. but no.. just a fantastic beautifull breath-taking shot..

cheers.
    P.
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Can't believe I kept passing this picture up because it was 'just another Landscape shot'.
    NOT the case!
    This is beautiful and you should be very proud of this one. The white foreground is amazing and leads you right into the picture and holds you there.
    If it was my picture - it would be hanging on the wall.
    Looks like it was a beautiful day to have a camera

Lets see more from that day!
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    Well I think this is outstanding. A little black line border would suit so as we can see exactly where the snow at the bottom ends. This is not a criticism. I would not put this on my computer Roger, but blow it uo to full size, frame it and put it on the wall of my best room.
    Overbeyond

I totally agree but I would be afraid to print it in case the printer didn't do it justice. Must get a decent photo printer.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Wow! I am so honored that each of you like the photo and have made such awesome comments. It’s really nice when you wind up at the right place at the right time.

Nina & PlantedTao asked if there are more photos from here, and the answer of course is Yes! I also had my 35mm with Kodak 100 Professional film. The color of the water was amazing on the film. I will try to add another shot or two with the next post.

I am taking the advice of Overbeyond and Roger and will try adding a black border.

Jared, Leels, SmartWombat, Paul.S. and PhotoGimp, Thanks!

Dudley

Beside the wow of those trees, I like that there is such a great feeling of depth in this shot. Get that on a Utah calendar - or any calendar.

Just want to add that I find this image very appealing and you pulled it of well with the compositon, exposure and focus. Well done. I think I might be the only one here that finds the white snow at the bottom to be not needed here, and when I scroll down to crop it out, I find simpler and stronger. Thats my 2 cents. Great image, hang it up.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Gary, as always, thanks for the comments. I am posting the photo again after cropping a little of the top and adding a border. Man, I need PS-101 for dummies. Anyway, for those that asked about some more shots, here is a couple more taken with my 35mm. The photo of the original post was taken with my digital camera. The additional pictures just give you an idea of what the place was like.

Thanks!
    Dudley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frosty Morn at Bear Lake, Utah-0612441-r1-047-22a-bear-lake-35-web.jpg   Frosty Morn at Bear Lake, Utah-0612441-r1-051-24-bear-lake-35a-web.jpg   Frosty Morn at Bear Lake, Utah-dsc06742a-bear-lake-web-border.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye
    Man, I need PS-101 for dummies.
    I likr the Luminous Landscape's tutorials and such.
    http://luminous-landscape.com/

This epitomizes Winter Wonderland. I am honestly blown away by this scene... Serene sums it up well.
    As far as the technical side of the picture, I think it is outstanding. The DOF is great, the color you've captured is great, the entire composition is set up wonderfully.
    Way to go!

Rebekah
    VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Hey Chunck, the website is really good! I was captivated for a long time just looking at pictures and reading the info about the shots. Thanks!

Rebekah, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.

Dudley

learning member

I want to reply before reading the other posts.
    Thers detail in the sky, a great bg, mid ground a bit void, but it seperates nicely fg bg,
    And the fg, wow,wow!!
    I have never seen anything like this.
    Beautifull man!
    Mark.

Although I don't feel that there is much else I can offer in addition to what has already been said... I do like the #1 shot of your second submission the best. The crystal blue water is just so stark in comparison to the white foreground. This shot is about as close to perfect as you can get. I'd find out what the largest enlargement you can get without losing sharpness (what film was it??) and put this baby up on your wall!

Great work!

-Chris

learning member

Hi Dudley ,

I can't believe this photo's are real !! ;)

The first one of the second lot you send is the one i like the most . What beautifull place that must be in the winter ! The same with the photo of the barn !

Great stuff .

Regards
    james

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye
    Gary, as always, thanks for the comments. I am posting the photo again after cropping a little of the top and adding a border. Man, I need PS-101 for dummies. Anyway, for those that asked about some more shots, here is a couple more taken with my 35mm. The photo of the original post was taken with my digital camera. The additional pictures just give you an idea of what the place was like.

Thanks!
    Dudley
    Dudley, I can't believe these colours! What have you done to make them glow like this??? These colours are phenomenal! I am especially found of the composition of the first two pictures of this second post of yours. It's been a long time since I haven't seen winter scenes that good.

Seb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information