Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: French Alley

French Alley

Hiya, another image from my trip to the south of France. The shot of this alley was taken in the scenic town of St.Guilhem-le-Desert with a Canon EOS600 and Fuji Sensia 100. Converted to BW in PS.
    I noticed that my photo's seem to show very dark on this forum, while they are much brighter on my personal monitor. Does anyone know how to calibrate such a monitor?

Thanks,
    Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails French Alley-2004-st_guilhem-le-desert_00603_publish.jpg  

Re: French Alley

Quote Originally Posted by Hightree
    Hiya, another image from my trip to the south of France. The shot of this alley was taken in the scenic town of St.Guilhem-le-Desert with a Canon EOS600 and Fuji Sensia 100. Converted to BW in PS.
    I noticed that my photo's seem to show very dark on this forum, while they are much brighter on my personal monitor. Does anyone know how to calibrate such a monitor?

Thanks,
    Frank
    I use a program called WizWyg. It's a free program from Praxisoft. It will also create an ICC profile for your monitor to use in Photoshop. Of course you could use the program supplied by Adobe when you install Photoshop.

James Walling

The picture is showing somewhat dark on my monitor but I think it's a great shot and like it as is. The darkness appeals to me personally, and I really think that the black and white really brings it out.
    I also really dig how you framed it. I think you did a great job. If you were to lighten it a bit I think that I would prefer the darker version.
    ~Nina~

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Hightree

Thanks,
    Frank
    Hello Hightree,

If you were to brighten your picture, it would have to be a selective brightening because the sky already appears to be washed out (which is not really an issue here considering the place the sky take in your composition) and the lighter walls are quite bright.

That being said, I truly enjoy your picture straight like it is. The scene is very contrasty and the darkers areas do are dark but it help to create an interesting mood that suit the location very well (I think!).

regards

Seb

Thank you all for your feedback.

-James, I will try the program you suggested (if I can find it).
    -Nina, glad you like it. I guess I still have to get used to BW conversions, coming from mainly color prints.
    -Seb, good point on the very white sky. I may do some dodging & burning in that area, but as you said, it's not very disturbing.

Cheers,
    Frank

I like this shot as well, and would only suggest that you decrease the brightness or gamma on your monitor slightly as yours seems to be brighter than most others. I would agree with Seb on just some slective highlighting and lightening and you have an excellent shot.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information