Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Follow the Grey Gravel Road . . . (B&W)

Shot with a wide angle zoom about 24mm . Was an overcast day in January. Long winding paths through a marsh surrounded by tall cattails.Was a bit nervous as there is no one around there this time of year and there are sometimes packs of wild dogs roaming around. Was hoping I didn't have to use my tripod for anthing more than just holding my camera steady.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Follow the Grey Gravel Road . . . (B&W)-lndscp1203-3404xbw1.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-02-2004 at 09:19 AM. Reason: sdjust photo
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Wild dogs? Was this in New York or the African plains?

Seriosly though I like this shot a lot. Just do me one favor: go into Photoshop and clone those bright white plant stems off of the rock so the rock is all dark / even textured. That's the only thing that distracts my eye. Otherwise, very nice shot.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    Wild dogs? Was this in New York or the African plains?

Seriosly though I like this shot a lot. Just do me one favor: go into Photoshop and clone those bright white plant stems off of the rock so the rock is all dark / even textured. That's the only thing that distracts my eye. Otherwise, very nice shot.
    PuckJunkey,
    After I posted the pic I was thinking the same thing about the bright stems in front of the rock, but after you mentioned it as well , I took your advice.
    New York or African Plains. . .lol Funny thing is , the pack of dogs you may find here are usually a very motley crew. Such as a German Shepperd, a pit bull, a Beagle, maybe a Terrier or two, possibly a Lab and even a Poodle. Funny looking pack, but still potentially dangerous as I have learned several years ago. I am glad there are no Hyenas . . . . .

Thanks for your thoughts ,
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-02-2004 at 09:34 AM. Reason: rewording

gary

Yep.

That looks much better.... nice work!

Next time take a bag of beggin strips and fling them all over the ground if the pack shows up.

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I think the contrast, exposure and sharpness of this shot are excellent. However you did it - digital or film - doesn't matter, it's the end result that counts. I like the strong leading lines in it and the tree in the distance. I didn't see the "before" shot - I assume you did the editing to the plants in front of the rock on the shot that's posted here now. But I think the rock makes the composition out of balance. I guess I'd like to see it from a camera position about 3' or 4' in front of where you were - but the same height which works well.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I think the contrast, exposure and sharpness of this shot are excellent. However you did it - digital or film - doesn't matter, it's the end result that counts. I like the strong leading lines in it and the tree in the distance. I didn't see the "before" shot - I assume you did the editing to the plants in front of the rock on the shot that's posted here now. But I think the rock makes the composition out of balance. I guess I'd like to see it from a camera position about 3' or 4' in front of where you were - but the same height which works well.
    Thanks for your input. Yes, this is the edited version. I shoot with film and scan my negatives. This was shot with Fugi superia color print film. I never thought I would be happy converting my color shots to b&w in PSP8. I always thought that nothing could duplicate shooting black and white film with various filters on the lens. But after lots of experimenting, I have found a method that I feel comes close to looking like film shot with colored filters. (IMO). Hmmm, the rock. It was part of what I liked about the shot and was very intentional when I composed it. I guess it might be one of those things that you either love or hate. . Thanks again for your time

gary

Good shot. I like the depth in it. Yeah, I noticed how nice it can turn out converting an image from color to b/w. It often seems like a totally new picture then. I only shoot color nowadays and convert them to b/w in PS when I feel like it.

Cheers,
    Frank
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Hightree
    Good shot. I like the depth in it. Yeah, I noticed how nice it can turn out converting an image from color to b/w. It often seems like a totally new picture then. I only shoot color nowadays and convert them to b/w in PS when I feel like it.

Cheers,
    Frank

Frank,
    Great to hear you mention the depth in it. I was hoping to get that across in the shot by shooting as close as I could focus on the rock in the corner of the frame for a sense of presence and to have the road seem to be going way off into the horizon. Sort of a way of conveying near and far Thanks for your time . . .

gary

Thread Information