• 03-01-2004, 11:19 PM
    gahspidy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Follow the Grey Gravel Road . . . (B&W)
    Shot with a wide angle zoom about 24mm . Was an overcast day in January. Long winding paths through a marsh surrounded by tall cattails.Was a bit nervous as there is no one around there this time of year and there are sometimes packs of wild dogs roaming around. Was hoping I didn't have to use my tripod for anthing more than just holding my camera steady.
  • 03-02-2004, 12:32 AM
    PuckJunkey
    Wild dogs? Was this in New York or the African plains? :D

Seriosly though I like this shot a lot. Just do me one favor: go into Photoshop and clone those bright white plant stems off of the rock so the rock is all dark / even textured. That's the only thing that distracts my eye. Otherwise, very nice shot.
  • 03-02-2004, 09:33 AM
    gahspidy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    Wild dogs? Was this in New York or the African plains? :D

Seriosly though I like this shot a lot. Just do me one favor: go into Photoshop and clone those bright white plant stems off of the rock so the rock is all dark / even textured. That's the only thing that distracts my eye. Otherwise, very nice shot.

PuckJunkey,
    After I posted the pic I was thinking the same thing about the bright stems in front of the rock, but after you mentioned it as well , I took your advice.
    New York or African Plains. . .lol Funny thing is , the pack of dogs you may find here are usually a very motley crew. Such as a German Shepperd, a pit bull, a Beagle, maybe a Terrier or two, possibly a Lab and even a Poodle. Funny looking pack, but still potentially dangerous as I have learned several years ago. I am glad there are no Hyenas . . . . .

Thanks for your thoughts ,
  • 03-02-2004, 06:17 PM
    PuckJunkey
    Yep.
    That looks much better.... nice work!

Next time take a bag of beggin strips and fling them all over the ground if the pack shows up.

;)
  • 03-02-2004, 08:51 PM
    another view
    I think the contrast, exposure and sharpness of this shot are excellent. However you did it - digital or film - doesn't matter, it's the end result that counts. I like the strong leading lines in it and the tree in the distance. I didn't see the "before" shot - I assume you did the editing to the plants in front of the rock on the shot that's posted here now. But I think the rock makes the composition out of balance. I guess I'd like to see it from a camera position about 3' or 4' in front of where you were - but the same height which works well.
  • 03-02-2004, 11:00 PM
    gahspidy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    I think the contrast, exposure and sharpness of this shot are excellent. However you did it - digital or film - doesn't matter, it's the end result that counts. I like the strong leading lines in it and the tree in the distance. I didn't see the "before" shot - I assume you did the editing to the plants in front of the rock on the shot that's posted here now. But I think the rock makes the composition out of balance. I guess I'd like to see it from a camera position about 3' or 4' in front of where you were - but the same height which works well.

Thanks for your input. Yes, this is the edited version. I shoot with film and scan my negatives. This was shot with Fugi superia color print film. I never thought I would be happy converting my color shots to b&w in PSP8. I always thought that nothing could duplicate shooting black and white film with various filters on the lens. But after lots of experimenting, I have found a method that I feel comes close to looking like film shot with colored filters. (IMO). Hmmm, the rock. It was part of what I liked about the shot and was very intentional when I composed it. I guess it might be one of those things that you either love or hate. . Thanks again for your time
  • 03-03-2004, 12:08 PM
    Hightree
    Good shot. I like the depth in it. Yeah, I noticed how nice it can turn out converting an image from color to b/w. It often seems like a totally new picture then. I only shoot color nowadays and convert them to b/w in PS when I feel like it.

Cheers,
    Frank
  • 03-03-2004, 11:18 PM
    gahspidy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightree
    Good shot. I like the depth in it. Yeah, I noticed how nice it can turn out converting an image from color to b/w. It often seems like a totally new picture then. I only shoot color nowadays and convert them to b/w in PS when I feel like it.

Cheers,
    Frank

Frank,
    Great to hear you mention the depth in it. I was hoping to get that across in the shot by shooting as close as I could focus on the rock in the corner of the frame for a sense of presence and to have the road seem to be going way off into the horizon. Sort of a way of conveying near and far Thanks for your time . . .