Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Flower Macro Shots

I took these pics with a Canon A60. I'm fairly new to photography altogether and I would appreciate some comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flower Macro Shots-redyellow.jpg   Flower Macro Shots-daylillies.jpg  

A couple of suggestions:

1. Shoot when the sun is less direct. Both images a pretty "hot".
    2. Try to get extraneous items out of the background. There is a bench or something in the top one.
    3. In the top shot, the main subject is too centered and a little small. Try moving the subject to a corner and filling the frame more.
    4. Keep posting here, there are lots of good photographers here.

Nice work,

PG

A couple of suggestions:

1. Shoot when the sun is less direct. Both images a pretty "hot".

Well, when you are trying to take pictures full of color, don't you want to show the color the most? (Without overexposing, but that isn't the case since these aren't white)

2. Try to get extraneous items out of the background. There is a bench or something in the top one.

Yah, the shot I took there was just a series of somewhat randomn shots...I don't think anything is wrong with the other flower and leaves in the second one though.

3. In the top shot, the main subject is too centered and a little small. Try moving the subject to a corner and filling the frame more.

Yes, that is definately true. Also, the contrasting mulch on the left side....I'm not sure if that should have been in there or not...it kinda contrasts with the right side.

4. Keep posting here, there are lots of good photographers here.

Nice work,

If anyone has any other opinions on these, I would appreciate them.

- Joshua Jarvis

Quote Originally Posted by jdjarvis

1. Shoot when the sun is less direct. Both images a pretty "hot".[/B]

Well, when you are trying to take pictures full of color, don't you want to show the color the most? (Without overexposing, but that isn't the case since these aren't white)
    your colors will be much more vivid without the harsh sunlight. id suggest going back to this same spot at different times of day and comparing the results.

dan
    I like #2 a lot, I think the color would really pop if you bounced some light into the bloom, maybe with a reflector or a peice of white poster board. I use a cheap, circular automotive window shade- it has a foil backing that works great for bouncing light. It's a really great alternative to expensive light reflectors, and they can fold down for easy carrying.
    Hook 'em Horns!

Thread Information