Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First critique submission...

Hi all, I have been posting for awhile, but have yet to send something for critique so here goes. This was shot at the old school on my campus (it was built in the late 19th century) .

Shot with BW400CN film on Minolta Maxxum 70 with Sigma 28-90mmD macro.

Any critique is helpful and let me have it; I have thick skin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First critique submission...-rock-stack.jpg   First critique submission...-wood-texture.jpg  
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Re: First critique submission...

I like them both. The first one more. I havel always like this type of photo and you did it well.
    Capt. Len
    Stingray Images Ltd.

Thanks Capt. I have more but these required the least amount of PP. Simple crops, boosted contrast, and Unsharp Mask.

Z
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

These are good, I prefer the second one.
    The first does not have enough texture, contrast or subject to keep my eye or mind focused. The interior doesnt seem match well with the foreground...the fg and bg dont match up to make a nice blend or balance. I like contrast, but I'm not feeling it on this one.

the second I like much more. I think it needs a bit more umph...from some burning and/or up the contrast. I think this would give it more texture.
    If you burned in certain areas, instead of just upping the contrast, would create more interest in the chosen areas...like the split or knot. Just a thought.
    I do like the placement of the knot and split...it is just abstract enough to hold my interest.
    Good photo.

Cheers.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Thanks PT for your remarks. I miss my wet darkroom setup, but I will be back in due time. My PS skills are not nearly as good as my darkroom skills. I tried burning and dodging and just couldn't make it look natural.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

while your waiting for the darkroom setup you should look at darkroom rental...I'm sure ATL and the surrounding area has some.
    The time it takes to get to one is about the same time it takes to make your chemistry and dispose of it. I'm a big pusher of the darkroom...its a disappearing art form
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

If I use the ones at school I don't have to worry about mixing and disposing my chem, because its already done for me. I oculd probably sneak into the darkroom witht the summer education students. The ATL is about a hour and half drive for me, and with gas prices and rental prices I don't think it would be worth it. All I have to do is wait another 2 months and I will get paid for being in the darkroom.....MMMM the smell of fixer and dektol...I think I'm getting the DT's.

Z
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Top one has soft focus, extreme contrast, and is too busy in terms of composition. The bottom one might look better in colour.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    Thanks PT for your remarks. I miss my wet darkroom setup, but I will be back in due time. My PS skills are not nearly as good as my darkroom skills. I tried burning and dodging and just couldn't make it look natural.
    In Photoshop go to:
    Adjustments
    Shadow/Highlight

and try making your adjustments from there.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Good luck with your photography. If you plan to do textures and close ups like this I recommend using a tri-pod. That way you can make the picture sharper. I like to use textures as backgrounds or combine with other images in Photoshop.

Cheers,

Jim B.

Thank you all for your replies and know that I took all of them to heart.

Ronnoco-I agree with you saying the focus is soft, but I think the scan has more to do with that. I am looking at the print and negative and from what I can tell they are both tack sharp. I was going for the look of Tri-X being agitated more than it should hence making the neg contrasty. It is hard to do with the 400CN film due to its very small and smooth grain. The second would look better in color, but all I had was BW film, but I will go back there in the near future...its not like it is going anywhere.

Dan-I am currently using PS 6.0. I don't have the funds yet for CS2 or even elements. I tried to find what you were saying in my version, but I believe the wording might be different.

Jim-Thanks for the encouragement. I was using a tripod, and when I look at the print and neg with a loupe they seem tack sharp. I will ask my photo teacher sometime next week and get his opinion. I already have some plans for the wood pic. I will go back and take the pic again with tri-x, and then develop for contrast. I will then make one print and put a piece of glass over it. Then I will take vaseline and paint as if I were painting the wood grain. Put the glass over a new piece of photo paper, and stick under the enlarger. It can be over-used, but it creates an awesome effect. You can see the brushstrokes on the new image.

Thanks-Z
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Thread Information