Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

first B&W conversion

I've been wanting to try a conversion to B&W and this seemed to want to be monochrome. This was taken at ISO3200 at a dance recital of my friends kids (not her kid shown).
    Any comments welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first B&W conversion-050424-14b-allegrodance.jpg  

Re: first B&W conversion

This seems to have been an interesting shot, but it just does not reveal enough to keep my interest. Not quite enough lighting falling on the subject and/or underexposed a bit. Looks like a good image for b&w. See if you can bring out more of the image by increasing the levels or using curves. As it is, there is not enough form of the subject here.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks for your comments. I don't think the shot is underexposed - just too contrasty. Any more exposure and the shoulders blow out. I tried to lighten it without much success. I was able to pull out some detail on the legs more with curves but any more and it looked worse. This is one of those late night posts and it looked better then than it does now - I think I was thinking more about what it could have been than what it was. Thanks again...

2k2s

Hey 2k2s,

I agree with Gary on this. (On my monitor) there is just not much to see in this capture. Did you shoot others? You may have some that have more contrast around the subjects.
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

I only got one more like this (black with spotlighting) and I think it's similar. I'll look later tonight if I get a chance. I posted some others in VF (fun at a dance recital). Some of those could use a little more work. This was the only one I converted to B&W.

Thanks for your comments!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by 2kids2shoot
    I've been wanting to try a conversion to B&W and this seemed to want to be monochrome. This was taken at ISO3200 at a dance recital of my friends kids (not her kid shown).
    Any comments welcome!
    Hello,

This one could have been great (I like the posture and the motion). I'd even say that I like how the light fall on the person. However, the shot clearly is too dark to work like it should. I can't really help here as I have no experience with recital photography.

regards

Seb

The other one I have has lighting like this. The histogram looks like an L. Way too much black! Maybe I could have used more exposure, but I think the shoulders may have blown out. With a single white spotlight from above, I just don't think there was the right lighting to make a great picture (see? I can point fingers at something besides my skill). Next time I'll ask them to use different lighting so I can get better pictures...

Hi 2k2s

I tried reworking your photo but i could not get a better image from it .But i visited your link to the others & you have a couple there that will easely convert to BW
    BTW nice photo`s

Thread Information