Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faded Memory

Faded Memory

This is one of many in a series... if I can call them a series... just had the iPod repeat a single song, and kept going at it... over and over and over again. There is something I love about this photo, yet somehow... i dunno... anyway, the "inspired" title of the series was "Armed With A Song"...

Thank you all for your comments, specially those of you kind enough to take the time to elaborate...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Faded Memory-awas-029.jpg  
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Faded Memory

Great subject for photos.
    I can't make up my mind about it technically.
    There is what appears to be a bit of tree trunk on the right that's a bit distracting as, I as a viewer, want to know what it is. Should be easy to crop or clone.
    The blue plastic chair stands out so much because its color is still vibrant compared to the rest, which makes me wonder if some desaturation would help.
    Have you tried doing this in b/w?
    Maybe a lower angle wiykd draw viewer in more.

I see all sorts of possibilities in this location.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks about the tree trunk there... I stopped seeing it ... in any case, the desaturation worked... but what do you think... more or less?

I am also attaching the B&W version, which i either did wrong, or doesn't work...

I have unlimited limited access to the location... it's an old house in the city, which i can easily reach... but the gates are locked tight... so angles and positions are quite limited... maybe I'll go there again and see what has happened since i took that shot!

Thanks for taking the time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Faded Memory-awas-029_desaturated.jpg   Faded Memory-awas-029_bw.jpg  
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

I really prefer the original, for it's punch of color in the chair, but I'm not sure everyone will share my enthusiasm for bold colors. That being said, I believe I would have composed this a bit differently. It has such wonderful pastel tones that I think I would have taken the time to remove not only the plastic chair, but the three high color pieces of litter on the ground as they are pretty big distractions for me. I don't think the B&W works on this one at all, but what might work very well is to mask off the blue chair and ring, then apply sepia toning to the image (over half of it is sepia toned already), which would bring those rich warm yellow tones down through the grass, take care of the distracting refuse and leave the punch of blue when it's all over.

I really prefer the original, for it's punch of color in the chair
    I agree as a personal preference...

I'll try to clone out the pieces of litter... the chair on the other hand I don't think i have the patience to clone this one out...too much work...

But once the litter is out, I'll give the other ideas a shot and post them... i like them... thanks for the input...
    Marc

My Ramblings....

I do like the de-saturated one better.
    The litter doesn't detract for me but only adds to the ambiance.
    I hope you can find owners or something to get past that fence. So much potential here.
    I agree that the b/w isn't working.
    Keep Shooting!

Frog, thanks for the input... personally i liked the litter because it adds to the idea of neglect... but i guess i can still fool around and see what it would look like without them..

That being said... I promise to do my best to find the owners or whoever can get me inside... will keep you updated on that
    Marc

My Ramblings....

perhaps the litter doesn't need to be removed, just desaturated a bit so it doesn't look like little exclamation points dotting the ground

I vastly prefer the original. This image needs the color and punch, IMO. B/w doesn't work for me at all. Looks too cluttered. Or something.

Agree with frog about the tree trunk. All in or out.

Don't mind the litter at all. In fact, I think it adds a lot.

Really interesting image. Definitely tells a story.

I like the original the best but nothing is wrong with the second one. Just a matter of taste. I like the color and texture of the building in the original. The trash also doesn't bother me that much but cloning it does help. The image does create a nice mood. Destruction, isolation, abandonment ect. Well done........
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The presence of a plastic chair jars with the crumbling surroundings.

draymorton - Thanks for sharing... the more i work on it the more i get convinced about the original, just without the trunk.

Greg - thanks for the input... always appreciate it...

Don - not sure whether you mean it as a good thing or bad... seeing as this was exactly the reason why I was attracted to the shot initially...

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.... oh and here's the final version.... trunk out... litter desaturated a bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Faded Memory-awas-029-final.jpg  
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Marc, I like this scene a lot. I love the contrast of the old and crumbling against the modern and glossy bright blue plastic chair. I think you have composed this scene brilliantly. There is a very fine balance of the elements here and i would not change a thing. Leave the tree in the edge of the frame, its ok and also adds the needd space between the chair and frame edge.
    The colors of the original work well, but I also like desaturation. I agree with Dray that the b&w just looks too busy and we lose the needed separation of the various elements.
    Another thing about the image I appreciate much is the lines from the trees, the banister railings, the posts under the railings and the walk way border leading out of the frame.Also, the inclusion of the stairs at the upper left corner adds to this scene. It follows the direction of the chair and immediate steps. The warm colors combine well and the bright blue chair gives the needed snap.
    Well done Marcus and a great find.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 09-21-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured photo. Sptember 21, 2009
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Congratulations on getting "featured photo", well deserved!

I second the congratulations on the featured photo. Well done.
    Keep Shooting!

Gary - Thank you very much... I'm... I'm not gonna spoil the moment... thanks.

And thank you, jetrim and Frog, for the congrats... Much appreciated.
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Marc,

Excellent phot and the contrast is shown superbly in the saturated photo which I prefer for this subject over the B&W and the de-saturated version.

I think Gary said it all really.

one think I would consider is to tone down the sunlight on the wall.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Roger, thanks for taking the time... tried the toning down... here it is.. the original, with a better wall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Faded Memory-awas-029-finalized.jpg  
    Marc

My Ramblings....

I agree with Frog about the chair. I would have removed it from the picture completely. You have an authentic very old fashioned house and the plastic chair looks very cheap and from a completely different era not to mention the distracting bright blue.

Asmarlak - Thanks for the input, however, like i mentioned earlier, there was nothing i could do about the chair... on a personal level, the contrast between old and new was what drew me to the photo... in any case, should I get the possibility to get inside, and shoot to my heart's delight, then i would.
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post so please excuse my misspellings. First, you must remember it is your story you are telling by posting a photograph for critique and you should tell what it is that tells that story and what you heard in the composing of your photo. Everyone hears a different story and sees a scene different than you the author so tell what you are saying in the photo. I think you did a fantastic job in composition and balance of your photograph. I would not remove anything because those items are what yells the definition of your story. I think you hear a beautiful piece of architecture that has been abused and neglected and lowered in esteem with a bright blue plastic chair, and the litter. With that said, the only thing I see that could be changed for the betterment of the photo is the wall behind the well and the chair is overexposed and could be processed a little darker so as not to draw so much attention to it. I think you want the attention to be drawn to the chair and the litter with emphasis put on the structure and the age. Great job.

excal1 - First off, welcome to the forums, it's a pleasure to have your first post here.

Second, thank you for taking the time and sharing your thoughts. For the most part, I agree with what you are saying, however, when I am posting for critique, I am trying to see if the there's anything missing, so I try to give as little information as possible... I find that it helps me develop.

As for the wall, the last photo I posted has the wall properly exposed... do you mean to underexpose the wall more?

Again, thanks for taking the time!
    Marc

My Ramblings....

No, I just didn't see that post. It really looks good. I understand about not giving too much info coz then the feedback does give you a new look at the photo and a new perspective. But, I don't think anything should be taken out. Looks great, I really like the steps and all. Where is it?

This is in Gemmayzeh... it is an old street in Beirut, Lebanon. Actually this street is now full of pubs and clubs... the house is in a small alley to the back of it... but it was locked... I am currently try to locate someone who can let me in! and do some shooting!
    Marc

My Ramblings....

For me that is much better.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information