Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Details

Details

From a fountain in downtown Columbus Ga.

I like the tighter shot.

Canon S30
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Details-fountain1.jpg   Details-fountain2.jpg  

I like the tighter shot as well. The color of the fountain is nice, the lighting is good the water sparkles and you can see the shadows of the drops on the fountain, and the flow of the water is there. Looks like a cool fountain. I aslo like the other shot as well as .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I like the tighter shot as well. The color of the fountain is nice, the lighting is good the water sparkles and you can see the shadows of the drops on the fountain, and the flow of the water is there. Looks like a cool fountain. I aslo like the other shot as well as .
    Thanks for looking and commenting Gary. I liked the unique construction of this fountain in how the water shot back and forth through it like one of those old marble games that facinated me when I was a kid. I liked it a lot more up close and in the details than the overall view of it which seems blocky and inelegant to me. Here's an overall shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Details-fountain3.jpg  

Chunk,
    I like seeing the whole fountain in the last post. I would keep all three of these shots together as a series. It does look like one of those marble games but with water. I like these "fun" type of fountains in contrast to most of the "elegant" type ones usually found.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like the tighter shot as well. I don't like the trees in the background of the second shot. Have you experimented with closeups from the other side, to get slivers of the building in the background? I think the building (rather than the trees) would lend the background more of an urban feel, which I think might enhance the sculpture.

I also like the more direct angle you took on the first shot. It makes me (the viewer) feel like I"m right in front of it. The second one feels like I'm off to the side, which makes me want to step sideways to get in front of it. The two angles might be almost identical, but I don't feel it in the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I like the tighter shot as well. I don't like the trees in the background of the second shot. Have you experimented with closeups from the other side, to get slivers of the building in the background? I think the building (rather than the trees) would lend the background more of an urban feel, which I think might enhance the sculpture.

I also like the more direct angle you took on the first shot. It makes me (the viewer) feel like I"m right in front of it. The second one feels like I'm off to the side, which makes me want to step sideways to get in front of it. The two angles might be almost identical, but I don't feel it in the first one.
    Thanks, Kelly, for looking and commenting. Here's the original that I cropped the second shot from. I didn't care for what I thought was the clash between the the red brick construction on the buildings and the color/form of the fountain.
    The last shot was of the building facing the fountain. I don't get the feeling that I had when standing there taking it and am disappointed but it might give more of the urban feel that you mentioned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Details-fountain5.jpg   Details-fountain4.jpg  

well, I saw it in the first crop, and it's more noticible in the original, but what really bothers me is the tilt. (I'm referring to the "first" image in your latest post.) Can you straighten it in photoshop and let me look at it again?

And then try, once you've straightened it (-1.5° CW??) to crop it tight along the right edge, getting all the trees out but leaving the building in? I realize that this will further accentuate the tilt of the building, but it might work... I'd have to see it though.

I actually really like the second shot. I think that one might work as a great abstract if you crop down to the 4 windowpanes, between the pole and the door.

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

wINDOW

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Thanks, Kelly, for looking and commenting. Here's the original that I cropped the second shot from. I didn't care for what I thought was the clash between the the red brick construction on the buildings and the color/form of the fountain.
    The last shot was of the building facing the fountain. I don't get the feeling that I had when standing there taking it and am disappointed but it might give more of the urban feel that you mentioned.
    iIs the winner by a mile !! all the rest have been done before but i love this one.
    Bobby

get wet

I hope you took some time to cool off in that fountain ;)
    I like the tighter shot/crop myself.
    I agree with you on the clash... funky.
    I think the window shot is great, even if you didn't get what you were aiming for, it still makes an impact.
    Thank you for sharing these

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    I hope you took some time to cool off in that fountain ;)
    I like the tighter shot/crop myself.
    I agree with you on the clash... funky.
    I think the window shot is great, even if you didn't get what you were aiming for, it still makes an impact.
    Thank you for sharing these

VillenaDeCorte
    I could have used the cooling off. It was pushing a humid 90 degrees well before noon.
    I think I'm going to print a crop out of that window shot to take a look at it that way.
    Thanks for your comments.

Thread Information