Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Deep Orange Flower

This is an indoor shot of a flower I took a few months ago with a black bg. I was never too crazy about it from the start, but every time I go back to look at it I always seem to like it more and more. I had positive feedback on it from friends and family so I decided to post it and see what I get. All comments appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deep Orange Flower-flowers0304-1901xweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

i like the picture did u do work on it in photoshop to get that black background
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Young Shooter,
    Thanks for commenting. No, I did not use my photo editing software( I use Jasc paint shop pro8) to get the black bg. I just used a black sheet hanging behind the subject about 5 feet away. Then just used a fairly large apperture(about 4.0 - 5.6) on my zoom lens ( tamron 70-300 LD 1:2 macro) to help eliminate the bg from coming into focus. Then it just turns out black as it is. I only use the editing software to clean up the pics and bring out the contrast abit or colors if I feel neccessary. ( sometimes i do more, but most times not )

gary

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Gary,

I had to come back to this one a couple of times as well... and I like it, but I don't...
    I love the color of it, and the lighting is great and I like the black background because it helps to accent the dark center of the flower. What I don't like about it are the three petals that are blurred and stick out straight to the camera. They are the first things that I see when I look at this and I just don't think they work with this... I think if you were to move around the flower just a little, little bit, so those petals don't stick out straight towards the camera this shot would be perfect.

~Tiffany

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    Gary,

I had to come back to this one a couple of times as well... and I like it, but I don't...
    I love the color of it, and the lighting is great and I like the black background because it helps to accent the dark center of the flower. What I don't like about it are the three petals that are blurred and stick out straight to the camera. They are the first things that I see when I look at this and I just don't think they work with this... I think if you were to move around the flower just a little, little bit, so those petals don't stick out straight towards the camera this shot would be perfect.

~Tiffany
    I agree with you on that. The petals in front of the frame should either not be so close out front or if I had focused on them and the center instead of the petals in the back, might have worked better. Thanks for your time to comment.

gary

Thread Information