Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Critique Please

Critique Please

Im new here and new to Digital SLR's, and really to photography. I just got this camera (Rebel XT) Saturday. Since then Ive been up late at night trying to learn as much as I can. Anyways, here are some pictures Ive taken, all comments are welcome. Thanks guys.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1301/7953/128680.jpg
    http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1301/7953/128675.jpg
    http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1301/7953/128681.jpg
    http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1301/7953/128676.jpg
    -Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Critique Please

I'm one of those lazy people that don't like to click on links. I hope you don't mind me reposting those with image tags...

Haha, no problem.
    -Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

Alright I guess since now I can look at them in the same window I might as well say something about them.

Are you using AWB (Auto White Balance)? It looks like the color changes from shot to shot, and overall warm in color. The first shot looks the closest to neutral, and if you were indeed using AWB the dominance of the gray rocks helped out.

I always catch grief for this, so keep in mind what works for one person doesn't work for everyone else. So, personally, I would suggest not using AWB. Use a preset or do a custom WB. This way the results will be consistent from one shot to the next. Now here's where I get flamed. Some people like to shoot RAW and change WB later in PP.

With the actual images, I think they can benefit from some processing as well. A simple levels and curves can go a long way. There's a lot going on in those images. The third one is my favorite. I like the curvy path of the water. I would crop it down to get rid of most of the cluttered branches and stuff.

I hope I'm not coming across in a bad way. I just started shooting digital earlier this year as well and I wasn't too happy with the results until I figured out AWB was screwing things up for me and that just a touch of processing can really bring out the 'life' of the image. So hopefully this helps you cover ground in much less time than it took me.

It looks like you are working with the kit lens. If this is your only lens, you really don't have a lot of focal range to work with. However, this can be beneficial as it will make you really think about composition and what you need to do to get the shot.

Oh and before I forget, congrats on the new camera and welcome to the site! You are going to make some great images, and all you need to do is go out and shoot and continue to learn and push yourself!

GB1

I like the shots, but I have a weakness for backcountry photos. I guess I miss the trees out here in the semi-desert!

They're OK but most of the them lack a central point of focus (subject) that the viewer can latch onto. Not all photos require this .... sometimes the overall composition can take the place of that, and works, like with the first shot of the stream and rocks.. But I think that a subject would have helped with the others.. I guess you need to catch a deer drinking from the stream? Maybe you can bait one in using some corn or apples.... or candy or a Christmas bambi prop?

The browns are very dominant here. I find that interesting. But I wonder if the subject I ranted about should be a color that compliments the brown.... ? Im not sure what color goes with brown however.

Welcome to the forums btw!

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    ... or candy or a Christmas bambi prop? ...

GB
    Lol I suddenly got this vision of Santa's reindeer pulling up with the sleigh to drink from the stream..

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Alright I guess since now I can look at them in the same window I might as well say something about them.

Are you using AWB (Auto White Balance)? It looks like the color changes from shot to shot, and overall warm in color. The first shot looks the closest to neutral, and if you were indeed using AWB the dominance of the gray rocks helped out.
    Actually, I set the WB on the "cloudy" setting for all the pictures. With that picture the Exposure Compensation was +1/3, thats where the difference is coming from and shutter was 250 with 400 ISO. With all the others exposure was set at -1/3.

I always catch grief for this, so keep in mind what works for one person doesn't work for everyone else. So, personally, I would suggest not using AWB. Use a preset or do a custom WB. This way the results will be consistent from one shot to the next. Now here's where I get flamed. Some people like to shoot RAW and change WB later in PP.
    I didnt like the way the pictures came out while using AWB, so I agree with you there. These pictures were shot in RAW, but honestly, I was probably wasting my time and should of shot in regular. Im not advanced enough with the software to take advantage of RAW.

With the actual images, I think they can benefit from some processing as well. A simple levels and curves can go a long way. There's a lot going on in those images. The third one is my favorite. I like the curvy path of the water. I would crop it down to get rid of most of the cluttered branches and stuff.
    Yeah, I need to work on my editing skills and develop an "eye" for taking pictures and editing. Looking at that picture now, I wish I would of taking it from a lower point of view. Crouching down closer to the water so it gives more of an upstream look.

I hope I'm not coming across in a bad way. I just started shooting digital earlier this year as well and I wasn't too happy with the results until I figured out AWB was screwing things up for me and that just a touch of processing can really bring out the 'life' of the image. So hopefully this helps you cover ground in much less time than it took me.

It looks like you are working with the kit lens. If this is your only lens, you really don't have a lot of focal range to work with. However, this can be beneficial as it will make you really think about composition and what you need to do to get the shot.
    Im actually using the Canon EF 55-200mm lens. Id like to pick up the kit lens for landscape shots. Im not looking to spend much money on stuff right now, so I think the kit lens will work perfectly for me.

Oh and before I forget, congrats on the new camera and welcome to the site! You are going to make some great images, and all you need to do is go out and shoot and continue to learn and push yourself!
    Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it.
    -Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

I like the shots, but I have a weakness for backcountry photos. I guess I miss the trees out here in the semi-desert!

They're OK but most of the them lack a central point of focus (subject) that the viewer can latch onto. Not all photos require this .... sometimes the overall composition can take the place of that, and works, like with the first shot of the stream and rocks.. But I think that a subject would have helped with the others.. I guess you need to catch a deer drinking from the stream? Maybe you can bait one in using some corn or apples.... or candy or a Christmas bambi prop?

The browns are very dominant here. I find that interesting. But I wonder if the subject I ranted about should be a color that compliments the brown.... ? Im not sure what color goes with brown however.

Welcome to the forums btw!

GB
    The pictures do lack a central point of focus. Unfortunately, I couldnt really find anything in my back yard to be a central point of focus, so I had to work with it. Believe it nor not, I didnt see a single animal out there, not even a bird, which is really strange. The browns are dominant because I had WB set on cloudy and exposure to -1/3.

Besides the one looking up stream with the rocks, the only thing that varied between the pictures was shutter and aperture value.

Heres another picture,
    -Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

GB1

Dan - I concur, finding a good subject out in the bush isn't easy. I think the best alternative is to bring one with you - a hat, a pitchfork, something like that (I try to bring along a model too, but that rarely ever works ). Keep shootin'
    GB

My Site

I think that's one of the greatest challenges for landscape photography. When people think landscape they thing wide angle views. That doesn't always work. You can introduce a subject if you can, but sometimes you can't or it doesn't work. You just have to find something in the scene and make it the subject of the photo. Get close, zoom in on it, place it in the foreground, find a different angle, etc. It's harder when there's a lot of stuff going on like in these examples. Find a way to simplify. Happy shooting!

Here are some others. I didnt post them because I dont know if I like them.

-Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

GB1

The other ones are better. These also suffer from a lack of a central subject, but perhaps even more so than the others.

On the stream, try mounting on a tripod and slowing the shutter down as far as you can and getting some soft blur there. Might be interesting.........
    GB

My Site

So other then lacking a central focus, you think the quality of the pictures are good? Like setting wise?

Im going to go out tonight and take some pictures of lights.
    -Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Well you seem to have enthusiasm and that is the first ingredient to becoming a better photographer :thumbsup:

Practice, learn, practice, learn, ... You'll develop your "eye" and hone your technique.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks Loupey. Here are the lights shots. These didnt come out too well. I dont think I was focusing correctly.

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
    Shutter Speed 15
    Aperture Value 22.0
    Exposure Compensation -1/3
    ISO 400
    Focal Length 55.0 mm

Shooting Mode A-DEP
    Shutter Speed 1/5
    Aperture Value 4.5
    ISO 400
    Focal Length 55.0 mm

Shutter Speed 15
    Aperture Value 22.0
    ISO 400
    Focal Length 55.0 mm

WB was set on auto, used a tripod and timer. Oh, and no filters on the lens.
    -Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

They do seem a bit soft. If you get a chance, try the light shots again. This time don't do in the dark of night. Do it in like twilight so there's still a little illumination in the sky. This will also help bring back 3 dimensional space instead of having a big black abyss. Depending how you feel about your photo processing skills, you can try taking a few different exposures and combining them for a HDR (High Dynamic Range) shot.

I really like what Loupey said. It doesn't just apply to photography either. As long as you have enthusiasm for anything that you do, you will always be getting better at it.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
    So other then lacking a central focus, you think the quality of the pictures are good? Like setting wise?

Im going to go out tonight and take some pictures of lights.
    Shutter Speed 15
    Aperture Value 22.0
    ISO 400
    Focal Length 55.0 mm

WB was set on auto, used a tripod and timer. Oh, and no filters on the lens.

Here's some general info and tips,

- Using a tripod will always produce sharper pix than not. Using one or not just depends on whether a tripod will restrict you to the pt of missing shots.

- Pressing the shutter button down too quick and hard, even on a tripod, can cause softness. Try to use a timer or remote release (I think you got this one already..)

- Not all lenses are created equal! some are inherently sharper than others. Read reviews for this info. Note that zooms tend to be less sharp and have more distortion.

- All lenses have an aperature or aperatures where they are sharpest. This is usually not at the smaller setting (like F 22) but 3-4 stops wider than the smallest aperatur, eg, F 8.0. Lens reviews, good ones anyway, provide sharpness charts at each and every full aperature setting. You'll find the wider apertures to be the sharpest ones.

Note that the above can be a little tricky. We always think that using a small aperature provides the best DOF, which is true. But DOF should not be confused with sharpness here, they're separate. What it means is that a properly focused shot at F 8 will be sharper than the properly focused shot at F 22.

Blah blah...

Anyway, good shooting!

GB

My Site

Thanks for the tips GB1. All the pictures I posted I used a tripod and timer.

- All lenses have an aperature or aperatures where they are sharpest. This is usually not at the smaller setting (like F 22) but 3-4 stops wider than the smallest aperatur, eg, F 8.0. Lens reviews, good ones anyway, provide sharpness charts at each and every full aperature setting. You'll find the wider apertures to be the sharpest ones.

Note that the above can be a little tricky. We always think that using a small aperature provides the best DOF, which is true. But DOF should not be confused with sharpness here, they're separate. What it means is that a properly focused shot at F 8 will be sharper than the properly focused shot at F 22.
    Those are two things I need to learn more about.
    -Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

GB1

Thanks for the tips GB1. All the pictures I posted I used a tripod and timer.

Those are two things I need to learn more about.
    Check out http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...150mm-f28.html for a example lens review and how they evaluate them at all f stops and major focal lengths.

My Site

Thanks a lot.
    -Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

Here are some I took a couple weeks ago. Trying to get every type of shot in...

-Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

GB1

Not bad! Next you need a sideline pass. Too bad the idiot NFL would try to sue you if you published any of these, they claim that photographs of their players are "their" property and only "they" have the right to market them.

Looks like a lot of folks left this game early btw........

GB

My Site

Actually the first 2 were taken on the side line. We were hooked up with field passes, but you have to be off the field 30 min before game time. The last 2 were taken from 18 rows up. I took about 130 pictures, about half on the side lines.

Hopefully this isnt considered "publishing." :frown2:

Owner of the Browns and arguably one of the best running backs ever in the NFL..

-Dan
    Rebel XT
    Canon EF 55-200mm lens
    Rebel K2
    Canon EF 28-90mm lens

u have no problems.. he he

some nice shots.. some boring subject matter.. its hard to make something out of nothing..

trog

Thread Information