Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Brave woman......

This model likes to do shots that can show the strength of a woman as well as a womans beauty. We had talked about doing something different, and somehow came up with a "cavewoman" idea. We ended up finding a fur bikini, and due to the temp change down here in southern Arizona, additional faux fur was added to try and keep her warmer in the mid 30 degree temps we had on the day of the shoot. Here is one of the images we came up with. Does it hit on strength, toughness, and beauty of a woman?

We would like to hear your thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, camera in one hand, a beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

GB1

Re: Brave woman......

It's different, and the idea is novel. A few suggestions to make it better might be to eiliminate the background clutter by shooting from a lower angle with her against the sky, rather than the stuff behind her. Also, the foreground show and all is good to place her but also distracts somehow. Add a little bit more space above her head, and show more of her expression.

Now, if you can talk her into doing this freezin' cold shot again!

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    It's different, and the idea is novel. A few suggestions to make it better might be to eiliminate the background clutter by shooting from a lower angle with her against the sky, rather than the stuff behind her. Also, the foreground show and all is good to place her but also distracts somehow. Add a little bit more space above her head, and show more of her expression.

Now, if you can talk her into doing this freezin' cold shot again!
    Well, I may be able to talk her into it, except shes REALLY busy with modeling as well as getting her PhD in Psychology. I can always try though!

This shot was taken in Garden Canyon on Fort Huachuca. When we were able to get together for this series, this portion of the canyon was in shadows. Just a few feet above her head, was about a 5 Fstop change in light. More expression and loosen the crop over her head... got it! Thanks for your input.
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, camera in one hand, a beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Army,

I've seen better stuff from ya man. To answer your question: "Does it hit on strength, toughness, and beauty of a woman?" My response is "no." It looks a little too gimmicky to me, like it was thrown together at the last moment with stuff from a thrift shop! I like the idea of having a cleaner background and sky behind her but I also understand your limitations. I would also like to see a different expression on her face.

I personallly don't think that strength, beauty and toughness rely on a woman wearing a bikini but that is my personal opinion. I typically find women to display those qualities when they're not trying, and in relation this one seems a little contrived. I would use natural lighting, lose the fur, and put her in a situation where she's using her natural strength and toughness to resolve some problem or overcome some obstacle, and have her look beautiful doing it. Have her sitting by a fire working on something, illuminated by firelight, scaling a cliff, climbing a tree, accomplishing something powerful. Smear some dirt on her face and hands, don't be afraid to have two beautiful eyes shining out from underneath that grime.

I hope this isn't too hard of a critique. I know what you're capable of so I'm turning the screws on ya a little bit. That's my personal take on the shot. Hope it helps.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Army,

I've seen better stuff from ya man. To answer your question: "Does it hit on strength, toughness, and beauty of a woman?" My response is "no." It looks a little too gimmicky to me, like it was thrown together at the last moment with stuff from a thrift shop! I like the idea of having a cleaner background and sky behind her but I also understand your limitations. I would also like to see a different expression on her face.

I personallly don't think that strength, beauty and toughness rely on a woman wearing a bikini but that is my personal opinion. I typically find women to display those qualities when they're not trying, and in relation this one seems a little contrived. I would use natural lighting, lose the fur, and put her in a situation where she's using her natural strength and toughness to resolve some problem or overcome some obstacle, and have her look beautiful doing it. Have her sitting by a fire working on something, illuminated by firelight, scaling a cliff, climbing a tree, accomplishing something powerful. Smear some dirt on her face and hands, don't be afraid to have two beautiful eyes shining out from underneath that grime.

I hope this isn't too hard of a critique. I know what you're capable of so I'm turning the screws on ya a little bit. That's my personal take on the shot. Hope it helps.

Rick
    Rick,
    Not a harsh critique in my eyes. I appreciate when people put it out there. I hate when people hint around an A, hint around a B, and want you to come up with a valid C from it. Just tell me like it is, and it's all good.
    All I ask is that people critique my work, and not pick on a model that I chose to work with. It's my fault I didn't capture her beauty, not hers.
    Thanks for the words, and I'll try not to let you down!

Ken (By the way, my last name is Long as well.....)

Ok, I found one that there was a upward angle with a touch of sky in, that wasn't too over exposed and could be corrected. The look on her face is kinda similar, but hopefully there is a little more to like.

Let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hello Mr. Long!

I like this one a lot better. I like the background here and it looks like she's a little more involved in something. I'm still not too hot about it though. The flash is killing me in both of these. What I really want here is to see her looking at the camera, and a tighter crop on her would be nice. The hair in her face I find distracting, and... the fur leggings... they look too "Macy's." Sorry! I think the outfit could have pulled it off here otherwise.

I like what you're doing with these. In fact, I sit here and have all sorts of possible images running through my mind. I absolutely encourage you to shoot again, maybe with another model (by the way, I'm not commenting on her directly in my critiques) but not necessarily. That's my feedback, hope it helps.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thread Information