Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Biltmore

The Biltmore

This is the Biltmore in Asheville, NC. There are so many possible great view points to take photos of around the estates. I didn't have much cooperation from the sky. Therefore, I framed as much as I could without crowding too much. I sure wish someone was rowing a red canoe along the lake during this photo. Alas, no one cooperates with each other anymore. No post processing except for a slight color adjustment.

Re: The Biltmore

Quote Originally Posted by AA20D
    This is the Biltmore in Asheville, NC. There are so many possible great view points to take photos of around the estates. I didn't have much cooperation from the sky. Therefore, I framed as much as I could without crowding too much. I sure wish someone was rowing a red canoe along the lake during this photo. Alas, no one cooperates with each other anymore. No post processing except for a slight color adjustment.

This one has a lot of impact. A large print must look very impressive.
    You made a great effort to camoflage the sky: just a pity the leaves that did so have in themselves too much impact;very black. Had the foliage been less dense and more green I think it would be much better.
    Having said that it's a very good "portrait" of the building.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Nice place to photograph by the looks of it.

However I have to agree with Tom about the leaves. I also want to crop the bottom a little to drop the edge of the lake a little; and then I don't.

I love the colours but it is a shame about the sky. (I'm babbling!)

Have you got other views of the place?
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

You can crop out those few leaves, which also eliminates a bit more of the sky. It still wouldn't give you a dead center horizon (personal pet peeve) and I'm thinking you wouldn't loose any of the attraction to the shot.

Nice shot.
    Ruh roh...Where am I?

Thanks for the comments. I did try a little fill-flash on the foliage, but I was so close it looked unatural and I didn't have a way of reducing or difusing the flash. The light, as you can tell, was not the best. I had a vertical like this one, as well as another view, but it had more dark foliage. I also have this one attached. Not as much dark foliage, but more sky. Before anyone suggests it, yes a polarizer was used. However, the sun was not in teh right place to get a good result. Also, the day was mostly cloudy. I was lucky enough to get this much blue. Again, no post-processing. Thanks again!

I like this one much more than the original (leaves) - but this could do with a little exposure and colour correction.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Biltmore is such a great place to visit and spend a day... I like the second composition better but it has exposure issues.

just me

I really Like this image, I love the colors of the greens, and I'm glad the red canoe didn't go by. I find that the leaves are not distracting to me. I look at them a part of the framing of the building. The 2nd shot is also very pleasing just not as saturated.Very nice
    CJ

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Great place to shoot. I live across the Smokies from Asheville. I'm hoping to get over there this spring. I think you framed this up well.

Scott

Thread Information