The Biltmore

Printable View

• 01-27-2005, 01:49 AM
    AA20D
    The Biltmore
    This is the Biltmore in Asheville, NC. There are so many possible great view points to take photos of around the estates. I didn't have much cooperation from the sky. Therefore, I framed as much as I could without crowding too much. I sure wish someone was rowing a red canoe along the lake during this photo. Alas, no one cooperates with each other anymore. :rolleyes: No post processing except for a slight color adjustment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tmorelake2.jpg
  • 01-27-2005, 02:35 AM
    Overbeyond
    Re: The Biltmore
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AA20D
    This is the Biltmore in Asheville, NC. There are so many possible great view points to take photos of around the estates. I didn't have much cooperation from the sky. Therefore, I framed as much as I could without crowding too much. I sure wish someone was rowing a red canoe along the lake during this photo. Alas, no one cooperates with each other anymore. :rolleyes: No post processing except for a slight color adjustment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tmorelake2.jpg

This one has a lot of impact. A large print must look very impressive.
    You made a great effort to camoflage the sky: just a pity the leaves that did so have in themselves too much impact;very black. Had the foliage been less dense and more green I think it would be much better.
    Having said that it's a very good "portrait" of the building.
    Tom
  • 01-27-2005, 04:32 AM
    readingr
    Nice place to photograph by the looks of it.

However I have to agree with Tom about the leaves. I also want to crop the bottom a little to drop the edge of the lake a little; and then I don't.

I love the colours but it is a shame about the sky. (I'm babbling!)

Have you got other views of the place?
  • 01-27-2005, 06:16 AM
    BamaFru
    You can crop out those few leaves, which also eliminates a bit more of the sky. It still wouldn't give you a dead center horizon (personal pet peeve) and I'm thinking you wouldn't loose any of the attraction to the shot.

Nice shot.
  • 01-27-2005, 10:51 AM
    AA20D
    Thanks for the comments. I did try a little fill-flash on the foliage, but I was so close it looked unatural and I didn't have a way of reducing or difusing the flash. The light, as you can tell, was not the best. I had a vertical like this one, as well as another view, but it had more dark foliage. I also have this one attached. Not as much dark foliage, but more sky. Before anyone suggests it, yes a polarizer was used. However, the sun was not in teh right place to get a good result. Also, the day was mostly cloudy. I was lucky enough to get this much blue. Again, no post-processing. Thanks again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tmorelake1.jpg
  • 01-27-2005, 11:01 AM
    readingr
    I like this one much more than the original (leaves) - but this could do with a little exposure and colour correction.
  • 01-28-2005, 03:49 PM
    CB Photo
    Biltmore is such a great place to visit and spend a day... I like the second composition better but it has exposure issues.
  • 01-28-2005, 04:33 PM
    cjsoap
    I really Like this image, I love the colors of the greens, and I'm glad the red canoe didn't go by. :) I find that the leaves are not distracting to me. I look at them a part of the framing of the building. The 2nd shot is also very pleasing just not as saturated.Very nice
    CJ
  • 01-28-2005, 07:17 PM
    ShotsbyScott
    Great place to shoot. I live across the Smokies from Asheville. I'm hoping to get over there this spring. I think you framed this up well.

Scott