Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

"BIKE RACK" - Holga......

This "Bike Rack" caught my eye a long time ago, it is at the main branch of the Salt Lake library system. Because of the limited space and the width of the lens on my Holga, I thought I'd photograph each element instead of the whole thing. I want each element though to be viewed together.
    Does it work as is? Or does it need a few more bikes? I went back today to photograph it again and there were more bikes. There was one on the "bike" side and three on the "rack" side..
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: "BIKE RACK" - Holga......

I like the idea and picture alot. The bike rack is very interesting. I think it would look better with several bikes on it, though, maybe four or five.

Brian,

Perfect. Works perfectly side to side and good eye. Even for a holga, which I'm not huge about, it works. I love the one bike on the 'b', I love just the single one. This is definately one of the best series of holga shots I've seen.

I almost like it

Jared

I like this, but the r is showing up on the right side of the bike image. Other than that, it looks great.

Brian, I think this is a clever idea and it works, for me. The one bike is perfect as Jared stated. I feel it keeps it simple and balanced with the lamp post on the other side. I agree with another in that the R from the Rack is sneaking into the first frame and it should not be there at all. I know this is going to absolutel mortify you, but, I think a slight cloning out the trace of the "R" is needed and very simple. Even if developing these in the wet darkroom, that should be a minor task. Great concept here.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

LOL Gary!

I more than appreciate you comments Gary and SunnySide.
    I am glad you addressed the visiaul balance, it was something on my mind.
    No Worries Gary! I have no intentions of clonning out anything, but I hear what you are saying. I'll probably go back and shoot it until I can get it right.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Dude you are giving Megan a run for her money. This is your best yet. If I had money I would puy this print. It's a real wall hanger!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thanks almo!
    That's probably one of the nicest thing someone has said about my photography in a long time.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Before I read the other responses I will say this; I think it works extremely well as an individual image. The one bike is spot on. The distorted light from above would in other circumstances be a deffect but I feel in this case I think it adds to the unusualness and originality of the general idea.
    Thumbs up from me.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Hey Brian,

I really like this diptych. I agree with the others that the "r" should not be in the left frame. Fix that, and it is just awesome!

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

At first i thought i was looking through a pair of sunglasses !! I like this image a lot and the visual balance is spot on for me.Well done, post the one with more bikes so we can see the difference.
    Bobby

Thread Information