Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Backyad Camping

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Backyad Camping

Comments and critiques welcomed, suggestions cheerfully explored, just leave the editing to me. :thumbsup:

All the comforts of home. . . in the backyard!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backyad Camping-backyard-camping.jpg  
    Last edited by CLKunst; 07-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Re: Backyad Camping

That brings it all back when my own kids (all growed up now!) used to camp in the back garden. I like the little star twinkling through the trees at the top.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

I think the light in the tent is too bright. I'd like to see a more evenly lit exposure, in particular, all the detail lost in the shadows.

Is someone entering the tent on the left?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

The house looks like its leaning to the left a bit
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

True enough so far guys, I did this last night and was a bit too tired for edit. Here's a slightly different exposure and adjusted the lean on the house. The little star is the moon. And yes, there are people entering the tent on the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backyad Camping-backyard-camping-2.jpg  
    Asheville Photographer

I like it. At first, I also thought the tent was a tad bright, but after seeing your edit, I prefer the original.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

I love the backyard camping subject and that itself brings a smile.
    I would say the things that bother me most about the image is as already mentioned the brightness of the tent and darkness of the surroundings which is creating a high contrast that makes it tough to distinguish much of anything in the scene
    The lit window of the house laying right over the bright tent . I wish it were seperated and not overlayed as it is.
    Last, I'm feeling the open areas of trees in the upper right is unbalanced being that everything else in the other corners of the frame is heavy in darkness. I think I like that there is an "out" here or some breathing room in that but I just feel some tension of the imbalance to the composition because of it.

All in all its a pleasing image of good family fun in camping out while still having the comforts of home nearby, but I'm just being critical here.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
    I like it. At first, I also thought the tent was a tad bright, but after seeing your edit, I prefer the original.
    I agree. I actually like the dark areas around the tent.
    Photographer/Graphic Artist
    Portfolio: www.fjaviergil.com

Thanks Gary, I see all of those things too - ideally I was thinking of "painting" in the shadows with a strobe but the kids were ready for a book and that motion in the left is me going into the tent after I pushed the buttton. By the time I got back out the moon had moved.

The brightness of the interior of the tent is a 100 watt drop light my husband put in for the kids to read by. It's viscious hot and too close to the roof line of the tent compared to the cool glow of the usual LED latern so I was a little surprised myself by how hot it came off. The bathroom light should have been off, again pure laziness on my part. I imagined the window as a chimney shape on top of the tent "house" but then I have a rampant imagination. . . and it was late so I'm part zombie.

I think I have one more night of "camping" left and will try to get what I want out of the shot. At least the kids are having fun with it. :thumbsup:
    Asheville Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by F. Javier Gil View Post
    I agree. I actually like the dark areas around the tent.
    Thanks! The comp still needs some tweak and polish but I'm glad you can see the vision.
    Asheville Photographer

I like the warm, snug, homely, secure feel of your second version. I have rarely camped but when I did I always found waking up in the morning far more interesting than waking up in a bedroom.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

GB1

I find the darker image more alluring. Decent photo overall, but there is a lot of background clutter; of course, this was in a backyard, so that makes sense! Looks like fun though.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information