Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sunglasses

Sunglasses

Took these shots today in studio. Trying to decide if I prefer the color of BW better. Would like to hear which you like better and other general critique! Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunglasses-riley_michael_20110723_0760.jpg   Sunglasses-riley_michael_20110723_0760-3.jpg  

Re: Sunglasses

Both are equally good, very good. If I were to choose I would probably go for the colour. But there is something overworked looking about the blue but happily it does not detract from the overall.
    But the pose is great, almost a natural pose which is the hardest pose of the lot. A good moment.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

This face is pretty soft, it looks like the forearm is in more focus. Yeah, a pretty natural looking pose.

image is kinda soft...

I find that it is the very softness that make these images so successful.
    Why is there such an obsession with sharpness?
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

An interesting observation about our obsession with sharpness! I agree with Tom that, sometimes, softness can be a creative tool.

Not in this case though, methinks. The 'product' being promoted here is a pair of Raybans - being an optical product, does it do Rayban any good if an advertising image is soft? I would have thought that many products would be fine with a soft image - but probably not an optical one!

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

I don't know that the image needs to do ray ban any advertising favors. That said, I agree that it is excessively sharp. Some amount of softness might be good, but this looks excessive.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I'm gonna have to agree...softness can me good for certain images, but I don't think it works on this one. It would be a stronger image if it was sharp.
    Photographer/Graphic Artist
    Portfolio: www.fjaviergil.com

Thanks for comments! I agree about the softness as the glasses are clearly the focus in the image. The story behind this photo is that is was a portrait shoot. The model was complaining about the bright lights, so he jokingly put on his Raybans. I snagged a few frames as he did so, this being one of them. It happened so fast, I wasn't able to set the focus properly. Oh well.

Thread Information