Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Night Park

Seb

Night Park

A shot from tonight.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Night Park

I had to look at this a few times to make sure of what I was looking at...but...my first impression reminded me of a composition by composer John Cage...I think the title is 3:32 (three minutes thirty two seconds). (picture a stage with a grand piano center stage. The pianist comes out...situates himself...sets a timer...and then just sits there...for 3 minutes...and 32 seconds.) Hmmmmmmmm....hehe..I like your shot!!! and John Cage..
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Seb, I had to look at this a few times as i was not sure how i felt about this. I think we expect to open a thread and be hit over the head with a comp that makes us say wow, but many fine images do not work that way and in those examples we need to study and look over an image and allow ourselves to "learn" it's qualities and intent. This is one, and I find that the ore i look the more i like it. I get a feel of actually being in the park at night and seeing whats around me from only the one street light. You seem to have exposed for the light, and it does give a feel and certain mood to the image. I think I would like to see a bit more shadow detail especially in the foreground, but thats upon your personal pref.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hello Seb
    The mood is set vey well with the exposure but there is something else needed and I'm not too sure what it is. Could it be a parked car, a person or a bench (all a bit obvious and cliched I know)? It's like looking at the semi-lit stage set before the play starts and you have that air of expectancy.The lamp looks great and any shots I have taken with similar lights always have a horrible starlight effect and spill into the picture as well.
    You captured the scene really well.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Seb

Thanks for commenting guys.

What actually draw me to shoot this simply was the spooky/eerie nature of that scene on the field, which I hope I managed to translate in picture.

This picture is so dark that I think it is one of those that challenge hardware. It probably show up too dark or too bright on your monitors.

Ken: I'll search for John Cage, you just made me curious!

Gary: I guess it might work to dodge the foreground very slightly but I do not want to let so much details show up. I was mostly seeking for a silhouette effect.

Tom: Interesting point. I am now thinking that this would be interesting with a person far enough in the background that you can only see his/her silhouette. It could actually adds something.

regards

Seb

Thread Information