Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Abstract portrait

A portrait of my fiance. I shot the photo of just her torso, looking up her skirt. It was too revealing, but I loved the lines, so I abstracted it. Her arm is across the top, her leg on the right, and the little dots were her beaded panties. Hardly lewd, in it's abstracted form, and the abstracted line distills the essence of the image, in my opinion. My question is, does this work if you don't know the explanation? I believe an abstraction should connect with the viewer, even if the viewer knows nothing of the subject or what it represents.

I'm a bit too close to the subject to be objective.

Thoughts, opinions and critique welcomed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abstract portrait-art1brightcopy.jpg  

Re: Abstract portrait

Stephen,

I actually preferred it without reading it. I was on the phone when I opened up your thread, and wondered about the picture, what it was and all that, but after reading your explanation, it kinda lost it for me. I wouldn't consider this explicit, it's very hard to tell what it is, and I like the lines and interesting colors you got.

Almost pop art style,

Nice shooting,

Jared

Even with your explanation it's hard to tell what it is, although the arm is more apparent. It's. . . ok. If I came across it at an exhibit or showing I might linger for a minute in curiosity, but I don'e feel it has enough to hold my attention for long. Not a bad idea, however.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I read quite a bit of science fiction. What I saw when I opened you image was a blue helmetted spacesuited figure in the upper right coming over the crest af a dark knoll with a better lit slope in the background. The nearer red post and other undescernable features were simply part of that alien landscape. I couldn't figure why it was titled as a portrait.
    If I were you I would display it with a vague abstract title and never explain what it is. I think its a very good compostion. I like how the right edge disappears when displayed on the white background of the screen and would suggest that it be printed on paper larger than the image so it can be displayed that way.
    I like this a lot.
    ----------------------------

Thread Information