Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: 2 pics

Arrow 2 pics

I have uploaded 2 more pics, the last 2 I can do, shouldn't even be doing this, need to get ready for my trip!! I'm addicted to photography!!!

Anyway:

1. This is one of my first photos, taken with my SLR with the 70-250 zoom lens. I don't remember what the f-stop or anything else was set on. I like it very much, just want some input.

2. This one drives me nuts. I really like this old house because of all the stuff in the window, however, the stuff in the window and the tattered siding (?) are all very distracting. I looked at the items in the window, I could get close, and none seemed very interesting in themselves, my question, is this a subject not worth photographing because it is so busy or is there something that can be made a focal point and I just don't realize it??? Thanks!

Betty

Betty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 pics-tattered6.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

I like that landscape shot of the old house/barn the colors are great and the vertical composition is nice. A bit blurry, which does not seem to hurt this particliar shot too much, but remember to bring that tripod with you!!
    Good question about the second one. I think if you zoom out or step back a bit so as to put this scene in a better perspective might help, because zooming in more would lose what it is your going for and turn it into something more about an isolated object. I think what is really needed here for improvement is better lighting. Lighting is everything with photography. I would think that if you were to shoot this a little further back and at a time of day when the light is creating some shadows and dramatic depth, would turn this scene into alot more. I like it and the potential it definetely has.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

learning member
    Hi Betty

I agree with Gary , the first photo is a bit blurry .
    The second one is a very good photo . The colors look sharp , i think although a bit busy it
    is always worth photographing.
    Looking forward to see your vacation photo's !

Greetings
    james

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I like that landscape shot of the old house/barn the colors are great and the vertical composition is nice. A bit blurry, which does not seem to hurt this particliar shot too much, but remember to bring that tripod with you!!

I think if you zoom out or step back a bit so as to put this scene in a better perspective might help, because zooming in more would lose what it is your going for and turn it into something more about an isolated object. I think what is really needed here for improvement is better lighting. Lighting is everything with photography. I would think that if you were to shoot this a little further back and at a time of day when the light is creating some shadows and dramatic depth, would turn this scene into alot more. I like it and the potential it definetely has.

I am thrilled with everyone's remarks about the first photo because the photo itself is not blurry, my scanner is the culprit!!! I am bringing my tripod just in case.

I really like the subject in the second photo, especially the tattered edges, but could not for the life of me figure out how to take it. I have taken several shots at different times, none with shadows however, and have not liked the results. When I return I will go back and try again, it is my experiment place and the owners have given me permission to take photos whenever I like. For which I am very grateful!

Thanks for the pointers.

Betty

- George Fisher -

Quote Originally Posted by jcharris
    Hi Betty

I agree with Gary , the first photo is a bit blurry .
    The second one is a very good photo . The colors look sharp , i think although a bit busy it
    is always worth photographing.
    Looking forward to see your vacation photo's !

Greetings
    james
    Thank you very much James! Both were taken with my Chinon. For a hand-me-down gift I am very happy with the camera. I will be going back to that house again and try some other angles lighting and stuff too. I love the second house and all it's business, but wasn't sure about it in a photo. Thank you for your kind words.

Betty

- George Fisher -

Quote Originally Posted by bjtindle
    I have uploaded 2 more pics, the last 2 I can do, shouldn't even be doing this, need to get ready for my trip!! I'm addicted to photography!!!

Anyway:

1. This is one of my first photos, taken with my SLR with the 70-250 zoom lens. I don't remember what the f-stop or anything else was set on. I like it very much, just want some input.

2. This one drives me nuts. I really like this old house because of all the stuff in the window, however, the stuff in the window and the tattered siding (?) are all very distracting. I looked at the items in the window, I could get close, and none seemed very interesting in themselves, my question, is this a subject not worth photographing because it is so busy or is there something that can be made a focal point and I just don't realize it??? Thanks!

Betty

Betty
    I think the second shot has plenty of potential and the one you have posted is a very interesting shot. Busy is not always bad. It is fun to have a pic where your eye jumps all over and has stuff to wonder about where ever it lands.
    Do you have a straight on shot tightly cropped to the dark window frame (just a little white around the edge)?
    Move in really close on some of the strong textures in the scene.
    Have you tried some vertical framing? Sometimes shooting vertical when the subject screams horizontal results in some interesting shots. You could include the rest of inverted table that way if it is at all interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I think the second shot has plenty of potential and the one you have posted is a very interesting shot. Busy is not always bad. It is fun to have a pic where your eye jumps all over and has stuff to wonder about where ever it lands.
    Do you have a straight on shot tightly cropped to the dark window frame (just a little white around the edge)?
    Move in really close on some of the strong textures in the scene.
    Have you tried some vertical framing? Sometimes shooting vertical when the subject screams horizontal results in some interesting shots. You could include the rest of inverted table that way if it is at all interesting.
    I don't think I have a vertical shot of the window. I can check, but if not I will be going back. Nor do I have a straight on shot! Heheheh everything but those two! It is one of my favorite places so I will be going back and I will try some other angles etc... thank you very much!

Betty

- George Fisher -

Thread Information