Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 super zoom

Hi folks.
    As I am going through my lenses to see about getting rid of the ones I don't use, I came across this Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 super zoom...Anyway, I took it out and it's ok as far as super zooms go. NOT in the same class as the Tamron 18-250mm super zoom ''IMO''...Anyway, this lens seems to suffer from PF but I was also shooting in the very harsh middle of the day sun....Anyway, take it for whats it's worth. All n all not to bad and PF could be removed in PS pretty easily...

εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Re: Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 super zoom

Those are some neat photos Javier. It is hard to pick out a favorite. The one with the grapes trips my trigger. Then the humming birds etc.

I'm testing the Canon mount, VC (image-stabilized) version of that lens right now. The VC works great. It is definitely not the sharpest lens I've ever used. I love the range and the VC. But I don't think I could accept the softness. I haven't noticed any purple fringing. But I haven't looked for it yet, either. It's possible that they've improved it for chromatic abberations? How old is your lens?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

they are all nice, but the 2nd hummingbird is my favorite.
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm testing the Canon mount, VC (image-stabilized) version of that lens right now. The VC works great. It is definitely not the sharpest lens I've ever used. I love the range and the VC. But I don't think I could accept the softness. I haven't noticed any purple fringing. But I haven't looked for it yet, either. It's possible that they've improved it for chromatic abberations? How old is your lens?
    John,
    My lens is about two years old. I also have the Tamron 18-250mm that is leaps ahead of this one. I remember when I bought this 28-300 lens and thought it was way soft so I exchanged it only to find it the same. I am sure the new ones have got to be better.
    I look forward to reading about your findings.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Great pictures, Javier! I can't pick a favorite.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 User Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    John,
    My lens is about two years old. I also have the Tamron 18-250mm that is leaps ahead of this one. I remember when I bought this 28-300 lens and thought it was way soft so I exchanged it only to find it the same. I am sure the new ones have got to be better.
    I look forward to reading about your findings.
    I looked at the Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 user reviews today. It has a pretty poor rating. We didn't actually have the VC version of the lens in the reviews yet. I did a bunch of controlled testing today but haven't had time to wade through the images yet. I did brick wall tests at 28mm, 70mm, 200mm, and 300mm, at a range of apertures from the largest to f/22. And I shot comparison photos with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di, Canon 20-700 f/2.8L, and Canon 300mm f/4L. I have a lot of photos to look at. But the comparison should tell a pretty complete story. The Vibration Compensation works great. It's really impressive.
    Photo-John

Re: Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 User Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I looked at the Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 user reviews today. It has a pretty poor rating. We didn't actually have the VC version of the lens in the reviews yet. I did a bunch of controlled testing today but haven't had time to wade through the images yet. I did brick wall tests at 28mm, 70mm, 200mm, and 300mm, at a range of apertures from the largest to f/22. And I shot comparison photos with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di, Canon 20-700 f/2.8L, and Canon 300mm f/4L. I have a lot of photos to look at. But the comparison should tell a pretty complete story. The Vibration Compensation works great. It's really impressive.
    I too had read many of the poor reviews on this 28-300 lens ''after'' my second copy. Thinking back, I should have just returned it, but for some reason I held on to it. If I had to compare it to the new 18-250 Tamron / Pentax lens, it is not even close. The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 also kicks butt. Atleast on Pentax mounts.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Re: Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 User Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 also kicks butt. Atleast on Pentax mounts.
    The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is an awesome lens. I've had one for two or three years now (thanks, Liz!). I have it with a Canon mount. I'm sure it doesn't make any difference. It's an awesome lens. one of my conclusions about the 28-300mm is it's just too much zoom range - at least for $500. That's something I've always believed. But this lens surely backs up that theory. An exception would be the Canon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS lens. But it costs $2500! They're not really in the same class.
    Photo-John

Thread Information