Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 info

Hi Folks...6 weeks ago I sent my Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 to sigma for repair because it was suffering from BF / FF issues....I also complained that that it was a slow focusing lens...This lens is known for being slow focusing because it has allot of heavy glass..It uses an 82mm filter...Anyway, what happened to this lens was not a fault of Sigma, but my fault. I dropped it about 5 feet or so and it was never the same after that...So anyway, I sent it in for repair and spoke with a tech. He told me they have a completely new focusing element for that lens and was waiting for it from Japan...Anyway I got it back today and it is a rocket...It went from being super slow to one of the fastest lenses I have...It is sharp as a tack.....I also found out that my Sigma 135-400 was also fitted with a new focusing element as well and that explains why it is so quick and sharp....Anyway, here are some snap shots I took on my way home...I will take some proper images during the week..... I bring this up because others whom I have conversed with regarding this lens all had the same complain...''It is slow''..

I would suggest contacting Sigma and see if your lens can get this upgrade.
    Mine was still under warranty and cost me no money, but a total of 6 weeks with out it including shipping time....

εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Re: Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 info

εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Great shots, very sharp indeed! Thanks for sharing these!
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Pentax Forum Moderator

I agree with Jim...very sharp...sometimes dropping something pays off...hehehe
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I am really liking this lens...These I took around my yard today.
    One place where I do not shoot very much at is my home. Why? I have no clue, so today, I went out to shoot a few things...
    C.C. is welcomed...
    All shot with K10D and Sigma 24-70 F/2.8

My son Daniel.

My daughter Claire.

My grandson Adam.

Some sort of flower.

A branch growing from the side of a pine tree.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

A flower on a cactus.

Another flower on a cactus.

Some pretty flower.

Some red berries of some sort.

Another pretty flower.

A tomato or is it tomatoe?
    Last edited by jgredline; 09-19-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

The sharpness and clarity is just absolutely superb
    Those are some of the sharpest images I've ever seen, for a midrange zoom it delivers the quality of nearly the 50mm 1.4 (canon) one thing though what is the orange splotch on the last picture, with the praying mantis?

Here are a few more from this lens...All of these where shot with flash...

εὐχαριστέω σύ

εὐχαριστέω σύ

εὐχαριστέω σύ

εὐχαριστέω σύ

You have access to an amazing selection of vivid colors! Thanks for sharing these!
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Thanks JGRedline! Some really wonderful pictures, I enjoyed them. The clarity of your images with this lens are wonderful.

A little off topic, but I'm fishing for recommendations and opinions. I'm real new to Pentax and am just starting to collect glass. I got a K100D just last Tuesday and figure I'll collect some good glass then decide on a K20D or maybe by then the K30D will be out.

Photodo has good user reviews of this Sigma lens, the 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Macro. The Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 EX DG also seems to have pretty good user reviews there and elsewhere as does the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 that Sprialeyes has the nice image thread going.

I know I give up a little bit at the low end and the Macro with the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8, but other than that, can anyone offer me a direct comparison of these two?

Same thing, any recommendations between the Sigma(s) and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8?

Thanks in advance for the replies? I'm glad to be here (the forum and Pentax digital!) I think it'll be interesting to see how it goes and how often I fall back to my Nikon F3HP, at least until I collect adequate glass for the Pentax!

Cheers,
    Tom

Kentucky Wildlife

These are really sharp, and the color is dynamic. I'm going to give Sigma some serious consideration. What camera body were you using?

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Popeye Tom!!! and Welcome to PR and the Pentax forum and Pentax cameras. I can't help too much with the lenses as I too am also learning, but I did want to welcome you and congratulate you on your new camera.
    I look forward to your first photo posts.
    Right now, things are kind of slow around the forum, what with the holidays and all and of course, the winter is usually slow. But, I'm sure someone will jump in here soon and answer your questions.
    Anyway, Good luck and great shooting and of course, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I have been thinking of some new glass in the low to mid range like 28-75 or 24-70 f2.8
    Some thing for low light, people shots. etc.
    Like Popeye Tom a comparison between Sigma and Tamron
    jgredine I think you have both. If you had to chose one which one. I know that's difficult like choosing which child you like more.
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Pete, Javier has taken a bit of a hiatus from posting and I'm not up to knowing enough to give you any information on these lenses. Hopefully tho' someone can jump in here and help you out.
    Good luck.
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information